diy solar

diy solar

15.5 kWh or 23.3 kWh batteries for 6x540W panels?

trougnouf

Hello all,

I'm in the process of designing my houseboat electrical system but already ordered 16x 304 Ah cells yesterday to make the 15.5 kWh battery and I am having second thoughts as to whether I should ask for 8 more cells (total 23.3 kWh) before they get shipped.

I want to maximize renewable solar generation with the space available no matter the cost. My main limitation is space for at most 6x Hiku6 540W panels, and maybe some less significant added generation like a quiet wind turbine or two, walkable solar panels, and small solar panels along the sides. I live in Belgium.

My original calculation was based on googling that I can get 4-5 hours of what's advertised on my panels, so about 16 kWh, and originally the cost of Victron batteries (3x 4000) made me not want to look into more. Now that cost is no issue if I order all the required cells together, I wonder how accurate are those numbers. Can I expect to get more power out of my panels such that the batteries would sometimes be completely full? What would that sometimes like? I feel that found very little concrete information on expected ranges.

My consumption will vary a lot, mostly based on whether I am home or not, it's safe to assume virtually no consumption when I'm not there although I can always dump some load for example on the water heater.

I jumped the guns and asked the seller if I could get those 8 more cells ?

Seems like your already answered your own question by your order. :)

Seems like your already answered your own question by your order. :)
This is all a bit too exciting. Drafting it helped too; if I spend a day or two away consuming very little then there is potential for full batteries when I come back.

Back