diy solar

diy solar

15AH LiitoKala 33140 LFP review and test results

Did you or do you top balance your cells? Some alligator clips would work but I dont have 64 of them available, not even 32 or even 2.

I noticed the terminals extend past the cell cases, so I am thinking about laying out a strip of aluminum foil and standing them up vertically in parallel on top of the foil strip. Then I would make a strip for the top as well and lay it across the top of the cells, maybe putting a coin on to each cell to weight down the top aluminum stip. Maybe a strip of cheap kitchen foil can only carry 1,2, or maybe 5 amps but I think this should be enough to balance these new cells when they are charged to 3.65V?

Jumper wires are an easy way to top balance these before they are spot welded, but no bolt on terminals means we don't get to switch from parallel to series and back for a top balance. Going to have to trust the BMS.

Last edited:
I top balance. I have soldered brazing rod to join the cells in 6S configuration and take the BMS balance wires to the centre of the brazing rod. The cells are permanently in series

$8 for 15AH far too expensive. translates to 150 bucks for 280ah, what's the point of using such small cells?

$8 for 15AH far too expensive. translates to 150 bucks for 280ah, what's the point of using such small cells?
Portability. I building mine for my 12v Shimano electric fishing reel for boat fishing/jigging.
15Ah provides great juice and the size allows me to put it in a small waterproof bag and carry it everywhere I go.
Not good idea to have Li-ion on boat... car batteries are way too heavy to lug around... even the 280Ah or 100Ah... too inconvenient....?

I have built and deployed three 19.2V UPS batteries each in 6s config. Perfect size for my applications as they will run for more than three times the AGMs they replace, which are similar volume. Also excellent rated cycles. Price is good for this size cell. I will save money compared with the replaced AGMs. Cheaper than deploying 18650s.

I also have 460AH and 180AH cells for other applications. Of course they are cheaper per AH.

I'd like to know where you think you can get 15AH cells for 15/280 times the cost of a 280AH cell.

In volume, you can get these cells quite a bit cheaper. It's important to get good ones which is how this thread started. I'm happy to not pay a bargain basement price if I can be sure of quality.

Portability. I building mine for my 12v Shimano electric fishing reel for boat fishing/jigging.
15Ah provides great juice and the size allows me to put it in a small waterproof bag and carry it everywhere I go.
Not good idea to have Li-ion on boat... car batteries are way too heavy to lug around... even the 280Ah or 100Ah... too inconvenient....?
always buy the RIGHT size cell, NEVER parallel them if not absolutely necessary

Anyone managed to solder these? What wattage iron did you use?
I bought the version without the laser welded nickel.
My $20+ spot welder and 40w iron can't stick anything to them.
:cry:

Back