diy solar

diy solar

16KW build with option to expand to 20Kw

Abgreen

I’m looking to build a smaller backup system for Well, A/C and a few lights and outlets for emergency use only at first but would like to be able to expand system in the future. I want to buy the hardware thats compatible for a 20Kw system but that would allow me to only run a10KW system to start. I prefer grid tied with battery back up on 24v or 48v batteries. I would also like to be able to plug in a generator to inverter and charge batteries if grid is down or no sun shining. I live on a farm in arkansas no restrictions I’m thinking ground based for easy maintenance. Oh and I would like to be able to program units without Bluetooth in case phone until available to see programming.Any suggestions please thanks

I’m looking to build a smaller backup system for Well, A/C and a few lights and outlets for emergency use only at first but would like to be able to expand system in the future. I want to buy the hardware thats compatible for a 20Kw system but that would allow me to only run a10KW system to start. I prefer grid tied with battery back up on 24v or 48v batteries. I would also like to be able to plug in a generator to inverter and charge batteries if grid is down or no sun shining. I live on a farm in arkansas no restrictions I’m thinking ground based for easy maintenance. Oh and I would like to be able to program units without Bluetooth in case phone until available to see programming.Any suggestions please thanks

Grid-tie with battery backup means AC coupled system. Not cheap :)
Do you want to sell power to utility? Or with a limiter only to charge your battery and the house to use it ?

I would look at both options looking at A MPP Solar LV6548 to run my 2 hp well roughly 4500 watts continuously not sure of surge and put a second and third possibly to carry the water heater and mini split diaikin in AC and house loads.

I would look at both options looking at A MPP Solar LV6548 to run my 2 hp well roughly 4500 watts continuously not sure of surge and put a second and third possibly to carry the water heater and mini split diaikin in AC and house loads.

LV6548 is an off-grid (with grid support) inverter. That can not sell power to grid.
LVX6048 is a hybrid = Off-grid + Grid-Tie. That can sell power. But not UL Listed.
Both can have more units parallel connected.

Just be careful to take into account where the inverter will be installed. Those MPP solars are loud and will drive you crazy if you install them where noise from them would be an issue.

I'm in west ky and have been in the process of doing just what your doing.

I have close to a 19kw ground mount array.
4- mpp solar 5kw units that is 240volt only
A 37.5 kw transformer
Process of building a 1680AH LifePo4 battery bank on a 48volt system (51.2v)
Kohler 6SVG generator
1000 gal propane tank
I have a house and 2 shops being run off this right now. Each one has 2 separate subpanels in it where I can run off of solar or grid power if need be.

I have also purchased 104 used 250watt solar panels and going to put that on my shop when I save the funds to do that.

I've done most of the work myself except wiring the panels. Wished I had done that myself.

I also have 6 Revo II hybrid inverters that I'm going to use to just help charge batteries on cloudy rainy days. Cause we both know especially in the winter those days can last for a couple weeks. The more panels the merrier.

I've been doing this right now. This is something I built and will have a top layer of batteries and a bottom layer.20210906_114542.jpg

Back