diy solar

diy solar

16S BMS with active balance and external relay

jontm

Hi!

What is the options on the market today for BMS that support active balance in a 16S configuration and a external relay/contactor ?
Making a battery pack for a 10 000 VA Victron Quattro and are looking for the most suitable BMS. These are the ones that i have looked into:

- REC seems to be the most compatible, but it is expensive and does not support active balancing.
- Chargery is more affordable, but does not support active balancing
- Daly seems like the most popular, but i do not like to have the full current going through the BMS, especially when it is 200-500 A. It also have very weak balancing.

The most promising i have found so far is:
- JK/JIKONG has a high current variant of their active balance BMS. It is not super cheap, but is much cheaper than the REC and seems to tick all the boxes

Are there any other options ? Anyone have experience with the JK variant with active BMS and external relay/contactor ? Does it support pre charge ?
How user friendly they are is not super important for me. I do inverter design as my dayjob so hopefully should be able to figure them out :)

Hello,
We use the Energus BMS. It's perfect with good after sale service.

This looks like a good option as well. Seem to tick a lot of boxes. Documentation also seems good. It does however not have active balancing and the passive balance current is not great compared to the Chargery or REC units. It also does not seem to have a driver or interface to interface with the rest of the Victron system. It does seem to have some digital outputs however. Is it possible to wire the digital outputs up to give stop charging and stop discharging signals to the Victron on the two wire BMS interface of the Victron. Seems like a better option to have the Victron turn off and off charging/discharging instead of operating the contactors every single charge/discharge. I will likely fully charge and discharge the battery banks about two times a day. This is due to the hybrid diesel electric system that i am planning.

Looking at the options, I am seriously considering to design my own BMS. They are so simple devices. I mean. 16 voltage measurement channels, two current shunt inputs, temperature measurement, digital outputs and some code to control the logic. It is not rocket science.

This looks like a good option as well. Seem to tick a lot of boxes. Documentation also seems good. It does however not have active balancing and the passive balance current is not great compared to the Chargery or REC units. It also does not seem to have a driver or interface to interface with the rest of the Victron system. It does seem to have some digital outputs however. Is it possible to wire the digital outputs up to give stop charging and stop discharging signals to the Victron on the two wire BMS interface of the Victron. Seems like a better option to have the Victron turn off and off charging/discharging instead of operating the contactors every single charge/discharge. I will likely fully charge and discharge the battery banks about two times a day. This is due to the hybrid diesel electric system that i am planning.

Looking at the options, I am seriously considering to design my own BMS. They are so simple devices. I mean. 16 voltage measurement channels, two current shunt inputs, temperature measurement, digital outputs and some code to control the logic. It is not rocket science.
QUCC has a 300A BMS with active balancing and uses a relay.

Doesn't Chargery have a 1A active balance? (although 1A is probably not enough for larger capacity bank)

Back