diy solar

diy solar

16s chargery BMS numbers not matching reality / active balancer

"Balance Start Voltage" means all cell voltage must be over the setting, BMS start to balance, any cell volage under the setting, BMS don't balance. for LiFe battery , the default is 3.2V, the range setting is 3.0 to 3.4V.
Question 2) : Could my LiFePO4 Battery Bank possibly benefit from lowering my "Balance Start Voltage" to a lower setting (why not 3.0V?); ... OR is this kind of an indirect lesson that LiFePO4 cells are most likely to get out of balance when their individual cell voltages are above 3.25v (which I believe is the default setting for the "Balance Start Voltage" ) ???

generally under 3.2V, The cell voltage don't need balance by BMS, because the cell voltage can be balanced by charging, that is to say, the cell voltage difference will be smaller with the cell voltage going up. over 3.4V, the cell voltage will not be balanced when all cell is fully charged. if the cell volage difference is large at 3.4v, BMS has not enough time to balance. this is a geneal rule, if battery capacity don't matched, the cell voltage difference is very large such as over 200, or 300mV, even "Balance Start Voltage" set up to 3.0V, the BMS still don't resume cell volage balanced when any cell fully charged to 3.65V, the charge time will be extended, maybe more 1 hour to 5 hours. it depends on battery capcity and capacity difference.
all balance default is off, first reason is to calibrate cell voltage, if balnce turned on, don't calibrate because balancing affect cell voltage measurments. second reason is user should check cell voltage reading when connect all cells to BMS, if all voltage is displyed correct, then turn on balance. because of passive balancing, generally, set balance to ON in storage , set balance to ON in charge, and set balance to OFF in discharge.
I still have these Questions: Can you confirm I understand this correctly? If my Balance Start Voltage is set to 3.25V, my BMS's Balancing Operation is active ONLY when individual Cell Voltages are above 3.25V, and NO Balancing actions are in play below 3.25V ???
yes
What if I had set my Balance: "In Discharge" "ON" , ... does that mean my balance function will only be working at cell voltages ABOVE the "Balance Start Voltage" ; and NO Balancing actions are in play BELOW that "Balance Start Voltage" setting ??? And is the same true for "In Storage" "ON" ???
yes

Back