diy solar

diy solar

17s, Why Not?

It is normal for there is to be some voltage ringing on battery DC input lines due to surge currents of load changes and series inductance of battery cables.

You can reduce the ringing a bit by taping pos & neg battery cables together to reduce their series inductance.

Adding another cell to the stack will reduce the safety margin to overvoltage ringing. There is a point where it does more degradation to battery line filter capacitors and even stress the input switching MOSFET's.
Thanks for this note on overvoltage ringing! I'm starting up a pair of inverters and one is tripping on dc/dc overvoltage. I'll reroute the +- battery cables to reduce the noise.

I currently am running 20s on a outback hybrid....If the parameters of the unit allow it I would try it.
LiFEPO4 or another chemistry? I'm getting ready to build my first 16S LiFEP04 and noticed that while trying to decipher my BMS' part number it can do up 20S. It' got me to thinking that it would possible to be able to get a few more watt hours and run the system at a lower amps adding a few more cells in series.

Of course it's not just your inverter but your charge controller that has to be able to deal with those higher voltages.

LiFEPO4 or another chemistry? I'm getting ready to build my first 16S LiFEP04 and noticed that while trying to decipher my BMS' part number it can do up 20S. It' got me to thinking that it would possible to be able to get a few more watt hours and run the system at a lower amps adding a few more cells in series.

Of course it's not just your inverter but your charge controller that has to be able to deal with those higher voltages.
Lifepo4, I have 20s 280ah cells in parallel with a 20s5p 55ah pack....It is harder to find equipment like circuit breakers, disconnects, SCC, and inverters that work at the higher 70 volts....I would likely do 19s next time.

Back