diy solar

diy solar

180v Solar panel connection

Sunchristal

Hi, I'd need assistance on 180v solar panel connection with 250w/24v panels.

How can I connect 250w/24v solar panels to a 180v inverter/charge controller?

The 180V is the max probably - what's the range? What model is it?
If you put 6 to 7 of those panels in series you'll get close to the 180V, but if that is the maximum it can take, I'd stay below that. Also use the Voc value to calculate this, not the nominal voltage (the 24V stated is nominal), and keep in mind that Voc is also at 25 degrees C; if you're in a cold climate, this can go higher.

The inverter is Luminous 10kva/180v. Can I use a 360v mppt controller and use 24v panels wired in series of 180v?

Ok, now it is becoming more clear. Isn't that one of those inverters that has 12V batteries included/attached to it, like a UPS more like? I'm not at all familiar with it. So I guess (and I'm guessing here, provide more details if I'm missing something) is that you want to charge the 12V batteries from solar instead of mains through solar. In that case, any MPPT that can charge a 12V battery (lead acid yes?) should pretty much do. You don't need a bigger (higher voltage) MPPT - just something that takes 24V from the panels and can output a charge profile for your battery. With a 24V MPPT you can then just put all solar panels in parallel.

Thanks for your concern. In my early days in solar, I learned that the voltage of the inverter should be the same as the voltage of the controller, the PV, and that of the battery bank. In this case, the inverter's voltage is 180v, which means the battery bank, PV, and controller should as well be 180v. Now this is my problem; I want to use 250w 24v panels for the configuration but I won't achieve 180v with 24v panels, instead, I would achieve 192v. So my question is this, "since I can't achieve 180v with my PV, can I get a 360v controller to handle it since it's higher than 180v?, will the 360v controller be compatible with a 192v PV system, 180v inverter, and 180v battery bank?.

Usually you don't have a 180V battery - you have 12V DC, 24V DC or 48V DC (or even 96V DC) but that's the most common in these kinds of situations. Your inverter will make that 230V AC (EU), 110V AC (US) or in your case 180V AC (lab back-up? Not familiar with 180V AC).
Solar can be anything from 12V panels to strings of 400V and more DC. The charge controller takes this and matches it to the battery requirements whereby the solar side usually has to sit 2 to 5V higher than your battery.

So, in your case (if you really have a 180V battery) you can probably go to 192V with a controller that can handle it and connect that controller to your 180V battery. I would post some model numbers here before buying/proceeding - your setup seems very a-typical and I don't have enough details on your equipment to give any definite answers at this time.

Thanks again, I didn't say the inverter Voltage rating is in AC, we all know inverters are rated in DC. So the inverter is rated 180VDC and for it to work, 15PCs of 12v batteries are to be connected in series to match with the inverter voltage (180VDC). Now, there are mppt controllers rated 180VDC that could be used but I can't connect 24v solar panels to reach 180v. instead, I would achieve 192v.
Can I get a 360v controller to handle it since it's higher than 180v?, will the 360v controller be compatible with a 192v PV system, 180v inverter, and 180v battery bank?.

you solar panel should have mentioned maximum volts, for 24V solar panel, maximum should be around 29V, if your MPPT solar charge controller maximum allowed voltage is 180V, then, your PV should be 6Series, and then parallel.

you solar panel should have mentioned maximum volts, for 24V solar panel, maximum should be around 29V, if your MPPT solar charge controller maximum allowed voltage is 180V, then, your PV should be 6Series, and then parallel.
Okay, thanks a lot.

Thanks again, I didn't say the inverter Voltage rating is in AC, we all know inverters are rated in DC. So the inverter is rated 180VDC and for it to work, 15PCs of 12v batteries are to be connected in series to match with the inverter voltage (180VDC). Now, there are mppt controllers rated 180VDC that could be used but I can't connect 24v solar panels to reach 180v. instead, I would achieve 192v.
Can I get a 360v controller to handle it since it's higher than 180v?, will the 360v controller be compatible with a 192v PV system, 180v inverter, and 180v battery bank?.
This is extremely dangerous...

MPPT charge controllers can take in whatever voltage the panels can be arranged to and convert to the battery bank voltage...
I have never seen one that has a rated voltage only.
They usually are rated MAX input voltage, and designated battery output voltage.

So, the panels get arranged for lowest amp transmission wires, at high voltage, then the controller converts that voltage to high amperage charging current through short large gauge wires...

Anybody working with over 48v nominal voltage battery banks need SPECIAL protection training and safety gear.

Ease post the actual equipment information you will be working with, I would like to see the setup you are planning... but 180V battery banks are BEYOND what this site would be able to advise on.

Also... we all know inverters have TWO ratings.
The input voltage and the output voltage.

Inverters can go from dc to ac or from ac to dc or from dc to dc... ac to ac also exist, but they are usually called transformers.

I didn't say the inverter Voltage rating is in AC, we all know inverters are rated in DC. So the inverter is rated 180VDC

Ok, wow. Well, unless you really know what you're doing I would advise you not to do what you intend to do. I have installed HV batteries before, and as I just read @Supervstech comment while writing this.. yeah, agreed.

<snip>
More stuff I was writing down that @Supervstech just said.

How are you. I have the same inverter, the luminous cruze. I have seen that you managed secure the mppt for the 180v battery bank, where can I get 1 for my self. I have 15 batteries already that are 12v giving me 180vdc, I also have 6 x 300w solar panels giving 37.5 voc which is equal to 225v on the panel side.

1. I am looking for the 180v mppt
2. Is it possible to use multiple charge controllers in a single battery bank eg 48v mppts until I manage to charge that battery bank

How are you. I have the same inverter, the luminous cruze. I have seen that you managed secure the mppt for the 180v battery bank, where can I get 1 for my self. I have 15 batteries already that are 12v giving me 180vdc, I also have 6 x 300w solar panels giving 37.5 voc which is equal to 225v on the panel side.

1. I am looking for the 180v mppt
2. Is it possible to use multiple charge controllers in a single battery bank eg 48v mppts until I manage to charge that battery bank
Did you read the responses to his question?
I have moved this question to the danger zone forum.
Good luck.

Back