diy solar

diy solar

19 inch rack for Signature Solar battery

Repro

Solar Enthusiast
Anyone have a good source for 19 inch server racks with high weight capacity? I need a 16U rack for 3 Signature Solar EG4 batteries. Weight capacity needs to be 400+ lbs. The Signature Solar rack (24U at least) is simply too big and will not fit into the space I have for the batteries. I have found many online, but none for my needs. Maybe someone already purchased one similar to my needs and feels it is good quality. I am keeping up the search. Thanks in advance.

I found a 18.5kw UPS for 100.00, used the batteries on my 12v system, gutted it and the 48v 100ah Signatue Solar Gyll batteries fit perfect, even have room for the new E4G one coming the end of the month, of course you would have to get out the Saws-All and cut it to height, Joe.

Before After
1626132315540.png 1626132413494.png
1626132479419.png1626133587576.png

Last edited:
Would be glad to find one. Do you have a source? I did some quick searching and found nothing comparable to yours.

No personal experience and I hope someone has more to add but I found this on google to get started:

5u to 58u with all sorts of options.

Thanks for your input. I am looking for an enclosure. I have been all over that web site, and they offer a 16U enclosure for $1150. Signature Solar has a 24U cabinet with bus bars for $499. Out of stock right now. 24U is still too big. I need a 16U. Once again, thanks for your input. I thought someone here would have already bought one somewhere and could simply send a link. Thanks!

I looked at free on craigslist and facebook for wine cooler - refrigerators to enclose some batteries, they have free broke ones all the time, my 1st server rack (open) was built with bed frame metal, Joe.

I found a great resource with super prices for 19" rack systems and enclosures. They have about any size you could need.

I found my solution in a 22U enclosure for $140. It has a weight capacity of 1600 lbs.

Remember you have to have shelves. 105lbs battery WILL NOT be supported by 19" ears only, trust me, Joe.

look on ebay for second hand 19" datacenter racks.
they are build for weight, and go up 42u .
the signature solar looks like 15u to me, aonthat would be double as high.
you would need to add high amp bussbars and other things

The full shelves cost $4 each. I called and they told me each shelf capacity is 160 lbs. I think it is a great deal. Click on the brand name under the product title to get to all purchasable options.

Update, the rack now houses 800ah of 1002ah @ 51.2vdc, just waiting on JBD Bms to get here, added another
Gyll EG4 and 16s 302ah Catl on the top supported by all thread and bead frame shelf, Joe.
1633699701026.png

Update, the rack now houses 800ah of 1002ah @ 51.2vdc, just waiting on JBD Bms to get here, added another
Gyll EG4 and 16s 302ah Catl on the top supported by all thread and bead frame shelf, Joe

What AWG does Sig Solar use to parallel the batteries ?

Thanks,

Joe

Mine came with cables and just measured it with insulation to be 1/4” thick, so thinking it is 3 or 4 awg.

Back