diy solar

diy solar

1971 Austin Morris ea350 food truck help!

aliflem

Hya Everyone, hope you are all well in these crazy time.
Im new here, from Kendal in the uk.
Really want to thank Will for all of your inspirational videos and content its just so nice to come across someone that explains things so well, thanks for that.

I have bought a Austin ea 350 with the idea of dragging it kicking and screaming at the moment into the 21st centaury, my idea is in the early stages and im thinking of making a video vlog of mi struggles but dont think im confident enough to do that. My intention is to build a 10ft by 6ft roof rack system with a slide out draw with solar on that also with 2 pop up wind turbines (maybe) id like to make the hole thing track the sun at the right angle.
After working all that out with yours and Wells help (lol) the next stage is the biggest questions i have or idea is to have a big enough battery bank to not only supply fridges and appliances but also 120 ac unit and so i can supply customers with a free phone charge and ebikes with a half price charge when they spend ex amount, but iam really unsure how i could do this? Can anyone help me out on this please ...
have the best day and thanks in advance

For others a Reference what these look like / sizing.
austin-morris-ea350-horsebox-1971-bmc-leyland-classic.jpg
These Came with 58HP Diesel or 70HP Gas engine.
ea_19215.jpg

1-1/2 to 2 Ton capacity pending on model.
There are various Box Styles/Designs these were just two images I found not the OP's Vehicle !

Questions to aliflem:
Are you looking to convert to Electric Drive ?
Do you want to just run electric for appliances / devices as you are going for a Food Truck.
Are you considering Induction Cooktops or ? (Efficiency being key here)
Would be helpful to know exactly what appliances and the volts/amps/watts.
Type of Food Truck is also helpful.

A Few points right off the top.
Conservation is FAR Cheaper than Generation & Storage and that fact will likely stay true forever.
The more efficient appliances & devices are the better for your pocket book on the Long Run.

WIND: A Tricky thing that is... Reality Check: Unlike Large Turbines we see going up onshore & offshore, the small "personal" turbines have few standards, some are good, many are plain simple crap and some are OK. It also is NOT suitable in many cases because the wind requires good air that is not interrupted by buildings etc. PLEASE Read this article: https://www.solacity.com/small-wind-turbine-truth/

The more accurate info you provide the better suggestions you will get. Also realize people are here from everywhere (I'm Canadian for example) so I will assume you want 220VAC/50Hz Single Phase BUT I may not be right as I am guessing... Specifics are important because any recommendations have to aim at "your regional setup".

Hope it helps, Good Luck.

Giant battery demand potential basically means lithium is your logical choice.

6x10 solar… 6kW? Guessing close to 8kW?
You’ll need to come up with the summary loads to figure out what you can output for kWh power and the battery bank to handle that.

For a food truck with your ‘green’ visual a wind turbine might be excellent for the visual but food truck patrons might find it unpleasant if you are going to locate where the wind would actually be effective.

As a mobile shop/catering/food wagon/charging station, you will need to comply with regulations, so seek professional help before embarking on this path. This will impact on the storage and preparation of food. Electrical safety is important and you will need as a minimum a full system test to ensure the system complies with regulations.
Your insurance provider may also stipulate what inspections need to be undertaken.

As a first step to determine if your plan is viable, calculate your expected electrical load and power use over the day.
My guess is that solar alone will not meet your needs and you will need a generator and/or propane, if shore power is not available.
Forget wind unless you are in an exposed location with the ability to install a high mast for the generator.

You mentioned ,
also 120 ac unit
Having external power outlets at 230 or 110 volts is not without risk and these correct installation and protection.

Mike

Last edited:
For others a Reference what these look like / sizing.
austin-morris-ea350-horsebox-1971-bmc-leyland-classic.jpg
These Came with 58HP Diesel or 70HP Gas engine.
ea_19215.jpg

1-1/2 to 2 Ton capacity pending on model.
There are various Box Styles/Designs these were just two images I found not the OP's Vehicle !

Questions to aliflem:
Are you looking to convert to Electric Drive ?
Do you want to just run electric for appliances / devices as you are going for a Food Truck.
Are you considering Induction Cooktops or ? (Efficiency being key here)
Would be helpful to know exactly what appliances and the volts/amps/watts.
Type of Food Truck is also helpful.

A Few points right off the top.
Conservation is FAR Cheaper than Generation & Storage and that fact will likely stay true forever.
The more efficient appliances & devices are the better for your pocket book on the Long Run.

WIND: A Tricky thing that is... Reality Check: Unlike Large Turbines we see going up onshore & offshore, the small "personal" turbines have few standards, some are good, many are plain simple crap and some are OK. It also is NOT suitable in many cases because the wind requires good air that is not interrupted by buildings etc. PLEASE Read this article: https://www.solacity.com/small-wind-turbine-truth/

The more accurate info you provide the better suggestions you will get. Also realize people are here from everywhere (I'm Canadian for example) so I will assume you want 220VAC/50Hz Single Phase BUT I may not be right as I am guessing... Specifics are important because any recommendations have to aim at "your regional setup".

Hope it helps, Good Luck.
Thanks Steve, really appriceated
Mines the green one.
Just started stripping it out this week (every scew rusted in) will post some pictures soon keep you all updated.
Still trying to work out all the appliances but probably going for a tall fidge,under counter freezer, twin coffee machine, pennini press x2, baked potato oven warmer, maybe an electric cooker (not sure yet) hot plate, hot water heater, and maybe a smoothy maker, have not worked evrerything out yet, will let you know.

The wind was just an idea but relise it would be hit and miss but did see a nice wind wall made from 4" inch plastic pipe, iam tempted to have a go but dont think i would get every thing else done lol.

The electric is 230/50Hz in the uk, it used to be 240.

with the food i want to keep it as simple as poss to keep the electric use down but still give really good value, so what ever we do cook will sort of revolve around the size of the array solar Battries and generator, sugestions warmly recived...

Giant battery demand potential basically means lithium is your logical choice.

6x10 solar… 6kW? Guessing close to 8kW?
You’ll need to come up with the summary loads to figure out what you can output for kWh power and the battery bank to handle that.

For a food truck with your ‘green’ visual a wind turbine might be excellent for the visual but food truck patrons might find it unpleasant if you are going to locate where the wind would actually be effective.
Thanks for the reply really appriceate it, im thinking i might be able to extend the roof space by 3ft longer, by covering the exsisting vents in the roof and putting vents in the back wall, this might give me the room for more panels.
yea i will sack the wind idea off even though i live in the lakes in the uk and its windy most of the time it might be to complacated, for now will just have to have a generator as back up.

As a mobile shop/catering/food wagon/charging station, you will need to comply with regulations, so seek professional help before embarking on this path. This will impact on the storage and preparation of food. Electrical safety is important and you will need as a minimum a full system test to ensure the system complies with regulations.
Your insurance provider may also stipulate what inspections need to be undertaken.

As a first step to determine if your plan is viable, calculate your expected electrical load and power use over the day.
My guess is that solar alone will not meet your needs and you will need a generator and/or propane, if shore power is not available.
Forget wind unless you are in an exposed location with the ability to install a high mast for the generator.

You mentioned ,

Having external power outlets at 230 or 110 volts is not without risk and these correct installation and protection.

Mike
Hi Mike Thanks for your reply,
Yea i was going to run all the wirers put the panels on and get someone to conect it all up and get it certified befor i start cladding everything up.
hopefully i will have an apifeny along the way as how i charge people per kw.

You might be better off hanging the panels off the sides then prop them up when stationary. Vertically they'll still produce electricity, maybe more in the winter. Big drawer slides are more expensive than panels and aren't very secure. If flashed correctly the panels could keep the rain off customers and keep the interior of the truck cooler.

Last edited:
Vertically they'll still produce electricity, maybe more in the winter.
Out of “situational convenience” my panels have been essentially vertical for about 13 months. I know there’s a penalty but it ain’t nearly as dramatic as I thought it would be (and why they’re still vertical lol)

You might be better off hanging the panels off the sides then prop them up when stationary. Vertically they'll still produce electricity, maybe more in the winter. Big drawer slides are more expensive than panels and aren't very secure. If flashed correctly the panels could keep the rain off customers and keep the interior of the truck cooler.
like that idea

Back