diy solar

diy solar

1st build- Am I missing anything?

TacoBravo

So it's charging and the wires aren't too hot with 1500 watt heater load.

That's a 50 amp breaker connected to charge controller. and 200 amp fuse.

All connected to 100 ah lithium LIFEpo04 battery.

I plan on adding another similar battery and make a battery bank. System is powered by 4 100 watt solar panels.

Is there anything noticable missing from photo? Or something that looks totally wrong? Do I need a bolt on fuse on the battery even though it's connected to 200 amp fuse?

Thanks for any suggestions
IMG_20220212_135235.jpg

Is there anything noticable missing from photo?
Really neat setup &
So it's charging and the wires aren't too hot with 1500 watt heater load.
Testing is something we all should do.

However this is a discussion forum-
something that looks totally wrong?
1- Use of a non-fire rated backing board.
2- Two fuses between CC & battery. Personally I have direct connections between my PWMs and system and go directly to to the battery busbar.
but acknowledge many who prefer one there: referring to numerous prior discussions, and may be advisable because of (1).

Is there anything noticable missing from photo?
Supercaps. Their benefits should see them being one day accepted in any default setup!

Really neat setup &

Testing is something we all should do.

However this is a discussion forum-

1- Use of a non-fire rated backing board.
2- Two fuses between CC & battery. Personally I have direct connections between my PWMs and system and go directly to to the battery busbar.
but acknowledge many who prefer one there: referring to numerous prior discussions, and may be advisable because of (1).

Supercaps. Their benefits should see them being one day accepted in any default setup!
thanks, i've never heard of supercaps. i'll have to do some research.

For a 12 volt system and a 1500 watt load, that will pull in excess of 100 amps, how much in excess really depends on the voltage, probably between 12.5 and 14 volts. Check the max output of the lithium battery in the specs. Could be close.

Also Class T is better fit for the lithium. Class Ts won’t blow and then arc across the open like ANL fuses (Called AIC).

Although fireproof backing is recommended very few builds actually use it, at least in the show and tell section. If I had to choose between a class T fuse or a fireproof backing, I would choose the class T fuse.

I honestly can’t remember what a super cap is. I do remember researching one time about them, and decided it wan’t for me. Basically remember it being a way to possibly have an inverter deal with bigger surges without having to buy a new inverter. You will also find very few super caps on the show and tell section, so probably a reason they are not selected. Once you research, perhaps you’ll find out its for you.

I like having a second busbar instead of stacking lugs on top of each other, but I have stacked lugs a couple of times. Sometimes the specs on the busbar will tell you how many you can stack.

Back