diy solar

diy solar

1st LiFe battery build done... Some basic questions

flashboiler

Hi all,
I just finished building my 1st LiFePO battery. 4 105ah cells following Will's video

Connected everything and it works!

Power supply charge voltage and BMS settings.
I'm using a desktop power supply to charge the battery. What is the recommended voltage to charge the battery to? I've heard 14.6V (3.65 per cell) but then I've read to use a lower voltage to maximize battery life. What's a good power supply voltage to charge to for decent battery life?
Also, what values for "Cell over voltage" and "Cell under voltage" do you recommend for long battery life. I'm not concerned about getting the max amphours per charge as my battery is now overkill for what I need.

Long term storage (6 months or so) I envision hooking up the bench power supply and setting to a voltage and let the BMS maintain cell voltage. Is this a decent plan? (Say set the bench power supply to 14.6 volts and just let the BMS keep the battery topped off. Is there a better (Lower) voltage to set the power supply for long term storage?

Thanks all, I tried to search the forum and google for above info but didn't have much luck.

Wait...
You want to charge up the pack with the bench power supply, then leave it connected for long term storage of several months?
this is bad.
If the cell is not being used, it should be around 3.2V per cell... the cells can actually be rapidly damaged if stored and held to a high state of charge.
They will happily hold 3.2V/cell with no power load on them... but keeping them fully charged is unwise. Charging the pack to 3.6 or 3.65V then draining the volts down to 3.2V for storage is far better for long term storage of the battery.

Supervstech, yes charging long term on a bench supply was exactly what I was thinking... Thanks for the comment! storage at 3.2V is what I'll do.

Back