diy solar

diy solar

1st post from a solar newby re solar generator

Here is my current situation. I have the original portable generator system that consists of the two 100 watt panels, PWM 30 amp SCC, 1500/3000 inverter. I want to be able to operate a refrigerator and freezer when power goes out. I determined with my kilowatt meter that I need to produce 2K/24 hours. I purchased two additional panels 195 watts each. The two new panels hopefully will come close to doubling the output of the original panels but may overpower my 30 amp SCC if panels are oriented in the same direction and certainly if the 2 original panels are added to the equation but if I upgrade my SCC to a 50 plus amp MPPT SCC I should be OK is my understanding at this point and a 60 amp SCC would give me some extra capacity.

My research suggests that a PWM SCC is most commonly used in smaller systems with panels wired in parallel and a MPPT SCC is most commonly used in Series wired panels. Also, I understand that Parallel wired systems multiplies the amperage and wattage remains the same and Series wired panels multiplies wattage and amperage remains the same and the Series wired panels produces most efficient of the 2 systems.

I'm now at somewhat of a crossroads on which way to go. I understand that upgrading my SCC is likely 100 percent necessary and I still will not produce enough power to run both appliances 24 hours per day but possibly can do some hourly cycling between the appliances or just try to get by with not running at all thru the night.

I just finished reading an article on the different wiring methods of parallel and series and also how my inverter can be effected.

I really appreciate the patience you have had with me on this process but I must admit again, my brain is having some difficulty in pulling the trigger on which way to go. That $4k generator with lithium battery is starting to sound a lot more affordable and a whole lot less to learn. Oh, I almost forgot, my budget won't allow for it. ?

200+ another 195W*2 may over-current your PWM controller. IMHO, you should buy a second especially given how cheap they are.

2000Wh/590h = 3.4 hours of solar. In winter this may be difficult to achieve. Link #5 in my signature for your available solar.

PWM is last decade's tech. MPPT is better in every way except for price. MPPT can often be very competitive when you look at the total PV system. If you buy an MPPT controller, you can buy larger panels that are cheaper $/Watt. Depending on the size of the system, you may come out ahead. Often one can find quality used large panels for $0.25/W vs. $0.75-1/W for the smaller panels. When you also factor in the efficiency and higher output, the $/W improves again. You may even experience cost savings and improved output due to wiring.

Example:
4X 100W panels and a 30A PWM controller: $300
1X 400W panel and a 30A MPPT controller: $350

The PWM has the potential to harvest about 350W peak
The MPPT has the potential to harvest 400W peak

$300/350W = $0.86/W
$350/400W = $0.88/W

200+ another 195W*2 may over-current your PWM controller. IMHO, you should buy a second especially given how cheap they are.

2000Wh/590h = 3.4 hours of solar. In winter this may be difficult to achieve. Link #5 in my signature for your available solar.

PWM is last decade's tech. MPPT is better in every way except for price. MPPT can often be very competitive when you look at the total PV system. If you buy an MPPT controller, you can buy larger panels that are cheaper $/Watt. Depending on the size of the system, you may come out ahead. Often one can find quality used large panels for $0.25/W vs. $0.75-1/W for the smaller panels. When you also factor in the efficiency and higher output, the $/W improves again. You may even experience cost savings and improved output due to wiring.

Example:
4X 100W panels and a 30A PWM controller: $300
1X 400W panel and a 30A MPPT controller: $350

The PWM has the potential to harvest about 350W peak
The MPPT has the potential to harvest 400W peak

$300/350W = $0.86/W
$350/400W = $0.88/W
Last part of your 1st paragraph you suggested I purchase another one? PWM?

If you want a chance of harvesting anything close to your peak, you have to. PWM or MPPT.

If you want a chance of harvesting anything close to your peak, you have to. PWM or MPPT.
Someone suggested in an earlier reply that I just add another SCC. How should you wire from 2nd SCC to battery bank? I've already got one set of wires on my SCC going to battery bank.

Put only your new panels on the new SCC and attach to the battery. There's no issue with multiple SCC attached to the same battery. Simply program your 2nd SCC appropriately and connect to battery.

Put only your new panels on the new SCC and attach to the battery. There's no issue with multiple SCC attached to the same battery. Simply program your 2nd SCC appropriately and connect to battery.
Do the SCCs need to be of the same type and can you give me an idea of what were programming for?

Any brand suitable for the battery voltage. MPPT and PWM can work on the same battery.

By "programming" I mean for the battery type and it's voltage.

I'm looking at the Epever 4210 for my new panels. Is 40 amps too much or should I consider the 3210?

Back