diy solar

diy solar

2-12 volt or 1-24 volt

Owls Nest

I am building a battery system and was wondering if its better to have two 12 volts with two BMS 100amp or 1- 24 volt with a single BMS 100amp?
Using 3.2V EVE304Ah as my battery's.
Thanks Joe

I am building a battery system and was wondering if its better to have two 12 volts with two BMS 100amp

Advantage: portability as it's easier to handle 4 cells at a time.
Disadvantages:
1) double BMS cost
2) battery balance can diverge between the two 12V batteries. 4S each managed by its own BMS with no communication between them.

or 1- 24 volt with a single BMS 100amp?
Using 3.2V EVE304Ah as my battery's.
Thanks Joe

Advantages:
1) single BMS, all cells managed by the same BMS.
2) reduced BMS cost.

Disadvantage:
portability - 8S is heavy/bulky

Hey thanks for the response, I was having a hard time finding the 8s BMS. I did find some 4s BMS but your right about the extra cost. I like the idea of being able to use 12 volt independently if I had too.
I do have one 24v 2000 inverter and one 12v 1000 inverter so it gives me that option also.

Hey thanks for the response, I was having a hard time finding the 8s BMS. I did find some 4s BMS but your right about the extra cost. I like the idea of being able to use 12 volt independently if I had too.
I do have one 24v 2000 inverter and one 12v 1000 inverter so it gives me that option also.

This scares me. It implies you might be considering powering both from the same battery bank. DO NOT DO THAT.

Those inverters need to be powered with completely separate battery banks.

Really it scares you? the word options mean that 12v inverter could be used if needed taken the the two 12volts out of series. You bolded the later but completely missed the first part.
12 volt independently if I had too.

Really it scares you? the word options mean that 12v inverter could be used if needed taken the the two 12volts out of series. You bolded the later but completely missed the first part.
12 volt independently if I had too.

Yep, because I've seen what happens when someone foolishly pulls 12V off a 24V series battery. Glad that's not you. :)

Back