diy solar

diy solar

2 6v AGM vs 100ah LifePo4 and Cold

Oldtoad

2 Duracell Golf Cart batteries, 6v GC2 AGM, spec sheet says it yields 103 @1 amp hour rate, the lowest on the sheet or 220 @ 100 amp hour rate, highest on the spec list. I know temperature affects output, battery chemistry has limits.
Now the total draw down ah on these 2 6v AGM is less than one generic 100 ah LifePo4, correct?
Trying to decide if I need 100 or 200 ah LifePo4 to power my camper van, guessing 100 ah LifePo4 is enough.
In Maine's winter will probably need battery heater and of course low temp battery disconnect, so the coach battery might need to be supplemented by a charger to power the heating pad.

Ah ratings for comparison are based on the 20 hr value.

Based on my interpretation of what you've typed, which doesn't make total sense, the GC2 batteries have a higher capacity than a 100Ah LFP.

LFP can discharge 80% of its capacity and maximize cycle life. AGM shouldn't be discharged below 50%. Taking those limits into consideration, your GC2 batteries may be very comparable to a 100Ah LFP in usable capacity.

If you link the spec sheet, that would help.

Have you looked at the KiloVault CHLX that has internal heating built in? 150Ah 12V https://www.altestore.com/store/dee...ult-lithium-solar-battery-p41011/#KLV1800CHLX

As for comparing sizes, the 20 hour rate of the GC2 is 215Ah. Two in series is still 215Ah. If you were to use up to 50% of the stored energy (using less is recommended for daily use), you'd have 107Ah available. If you were to use 80% of the stored energy in the 150Ah lithium battery, you'd have 120Ah available. So, the 150Ah lithium gives you a little more usable energy, longer life, less weight, and built in heater. But at a higher cost.

Ah ratings for comparison are based on the 20 hr value.

Based on my interpretation of what you've typed, which doesn't make total sense, the GC2 batteries have a higher capacity than a 100Ah LFP.

LFP can discharge 80% of its capacity and maximize cycle life. AGM shouldn't be discharged below 50%. Taking those limits into consideration, your GC2 batteries may be very comparable to a 100Ah LFP in usable capacity.

If you link the spec sheet, that would help.
Thanks for your reply and understanding. Yields of 50% AGM and 80% LFP, got it. Also, 20 hours for ah ratings, thanks.
Comparing AGM and LFP is a little like apples and oranges, simply trying to find out how much juice they give.

Have you looked at the KiloVault CHLX that has internal heating built in? 150Ah 12V https://www.altestore.com/store/dee...ult-lithium-solar-battery-p41011/#KLV1800CHLX

As for comparing sizes, the 20 hour rate of the GC2 is 215Ah. Two in series is still 215Ah. If you were to use up to 50% of the stored energy (using less is recommended for daily use), you'd have 107Ah available. If you were to use 80% of the stored energy in the 150Ah lithium battery, you'd have 120Ah available. So, the 150Ah lithium gives you a little more usable energy, longer life, less weight, and built in heater. But at a higher cost.
Solar Queen,
Ah, a YouTube star, honored to get such a helpful reply, thanks.
BMS has Internal heating and charge controller built in, sweet, getting warmer to what I'm looking for.
Have been wandering the isles between diysolarforum, Mobile Solar and Will's Youtube channel to get it together. So many changes in price, tech and features, I get bewildered. Who would have guessed, the Bluetooth cooler lets the phone know my beer's temperature.

Thanks for your reply and understanding. Yields of 50% AGM and 80% LFP, got it. Also, 20 hours for ah ratings, thanks.
Comparing AGM and LFP is a little like apples and oranges, simply trying to find out how much juice they give.

LFP: Multiply the 20h capacity by 0.8
FLA/AGM/Gel: multiply the 20h capacity by 0.5

You can then compare the results of the above for a reasonable comparison, though the LFP will almost always have a higher cycle life.

Back