diy solar

diy solar

2 Growatt inverter in parallel, PV module connection

MohammedAlnasi

I have 2 Growatt Inverters 5000 ES .
24 PV panels 500 watt each with Vos 51.9V.
20 batteries 180A 12V each connected as 48V system.

I want the 2 inverters to be connected in parallel mode, I have wired the communication wires and current sharing cables and I have done all the LCD setting and the parallel mode ran smoothly. Note " all this steps was done before connecting the PV module"

PV module connection.
6 in series 4 in parallel..

My question is that, I connected all pv parallel modules into one combox and I run one wire from the combox to the Inverters, Is this the correct way of PV connection.

IMG_20220704_084031.jpg
*sorry for the img this is what I got now ?

After I contacted the PV module I switched on the inverter and all the inverters gave an error code. One inverter was 09 error and the other was 06 error.

Can any one show me what is the correct way of contacting 24 PV module as 6S2P to 2 parallel inverters?

I'm not a Growatt expert (I have MPP Solar and Midnite Classics) but I don't think you're supposed to parallel the PV input across multiple GroWatts. Its the GroWatt AC output that you can parallel to increase overall inverter AC output.

You need to connect one set of panels to ONE GroWatt. If your panels are too much for a single Growatt, you may break your panels into 2 independent sets of panels and connect 1 set to 1 GroWatt and the other set to the 2nd Growatt.

I don't think I'm off base but I could be - but wanted to get you something to think about sooner than later. I'll follow this thread with interest :)

You cant wire the same PV array to both inverters. You either have to split the array in two string (one string to the first inverter, the other string to second inverter), or you just wire the full array as one string to only one of the inverters. In your case your 24 panels exceed the MPPT capability of a single inverter, so you must split the array into two strings, and connect one string to each inverter.

I have 2 Growatt Inverters 5000 ES .
24 PV panels 500 watt each with Vos 51.9V.
20 batteries 180A 12V each connected as 48V system.

I want the 2 inverters to be connected in parallel mode, I have wired the communication wires and current sharing cables and I have done all the LCD setting and the parallel mode ran smoothly. Note " all this steps was done before connecting the PV module"

PV module connection.
6 in series 4 in parallel..

My question is that, I connected all pv parallel modules into one combox and I run one wire from the combox to the Inverters, Is this the correct way of PV connection.

View attachment 101243
*sorry for the img this is what I got now ?

After I contacted the PV module I switched on the inverter and all the inverters gave an error code. One inverter was 09 error and the other was 06 error.

Can any one show me what is the correct way of contacting 24 PV module as 6S2P to 2 parallel inverters?
Okay I was also wondering this, as there could be some benefits to wiring inverters in parallel on the DC side (if this is safe or even possible).
In theory you could use one on-grid inverter and one off-grid inverter, both on the same 2 busbars as in your drawing, and avoid exceeding your Maximum Export Capacity.
The on-grid inverter could be as big as your are allowed on you meter point, but the offgrid inverter could still run a hot water diverter, heat pump, etc with no connection to the grid.

Many solar system use a seperate off-grid system when they max out their inverter size, but still have loads of available roof space. using a system like this would make far better use of the generated power, but I have never heard of it being done before.

If anyone has an insights please do enlighten me

Okay I was also wondering this, as there could be some benefits to wiring inverters in parallel on the DC side (if this is safe or even possible).
As far as multiple inverters pulling from the same battery bank - yes sir. In fact I have dual (independent) 12,000w inverters that pull from my 'single' battery bank. For my setup, it comes down to isolating AC circuits so one set can be powered from 1 inverter and the other set from from another inverter and the 2 don't overlap since the inverters are independent and cannot be synchronized. One can also build in options for cross-powering these sets of circuits so that 1 inverter or the other can power both sets of circuits.
1682357443154.png

In theory you could use one on-grid inverter and one off-grid inverter, both on the same 2 busbars as in your drawing, and avoid exceeding your Maximum Export Capacity.
Yes - you can pull as many loads from a central battery bank as it will support. A battery bank doesn't care if 1 load is off-grid and another is grid-tie - they are just loads to the battery. And a battery should have some kind of BMS that will protect it in general plus perhaps some monitoring system to to control DOD - but that can be independent of the loads.

The on-grid inverter could be as big as your are allowed on you meter point, but the offgrid inverter could still run a hot water diverter, heat pump, etc with no connection to the grid.
Yes.

Many solar system use a seperate off-grid system when they max out their inverter size, but still have loads of available roof space. using a system like this would make far better use of the generated power, but I have never heard of it being done before.
If anyone has an insights please do enlighten me
It's all doable and there are many factors. As an off-beat example, I have easy access under the house and can re-run or add circuits very easily whereas someone else may not have access to the home wiring. Cost. Permits. Centralized control vs decentralized. Complexity etc.

Last edited:
You cant wire the same PV array to both inverters. You either have to split the array in two string (one string to the first inverter, the other string to second inverter), or you just wire the full array as one string to only one of the inverters. In your case your 24 panels exceed the MPPT capability of a single inverter, so you must split the array into two strings, and connect one string to each inverter.
So to be extra clear, you need a second combiner box and running a whole other set of PV wires to do that even split for the two assuming the panels you want to run are not enough for one?

Back