diy solar

diy solar

2 TESLA MODULES & 10 PANELS...NOW WHAT?

if the renogy max @114v and my batts are in series i get over voltage of 2v.'total of 116v..is that an issue i need be concerned about killing the renogy?
According to the specs of your panels the maximum voltage is 46 volts. Two panels in series would be 92 volts. I don't know where you get 116 volts? It has nothing to do with how your batteries are wired. When you say "batts" what are you referring to?

Probably my silly 25% voltage margin over 46 assuming extremely aggressive temperature coefficient and very low ambient temperature. 46.4*1.25*2

Depends on the panel's specific temperature vs voltage coefficient and local minimum expected temperature..

edit: to be clear, i think 15% voltage margin for cold is more realistic but LiPo scary so margin pad mood

Last edited:
Probably my silly 25% voltage margin over 46 assuming extremely aggressive temperature coefficient and very low ambient temperature. 46.4*1.25*2
He is in Joshua Tree which is high desert. There is probably a way to check low temperature recorded. That would have to occur around Noon on a clear day to be an issue for the Renogy.

If so there are other All in One inverters or other charge controllers he can research. Perhaps that is what @JeepDaddy meant by a solution looking for a problem. Often most posters don't have enough solar panels to charge their batteries. In this case the OP has 3.7 kW of solar panels and approximately 10kWh of Tesla modules. The Renogy apparently has a solar capacity of 4.4 kW of solar but a narrow range of voltage. Ten in parallel would not be enough voltage and a 5P2S panel configuration might hit maximum voltage on a very cold clear day at Noon.

Last edited:

Depends on the panel's specific temperature vs voltage coefficient and local minimum expected temperature..
yeah....he did it...blame him...and his pesky silly voltage marginz.....though here in the jt desert..it is common to reach 115f

He is in Joshua Tree which is high desert. There is probably a way to check low temperature recorded. That would have to occur around Noon on a clear day to be an issue for the Renogy.

If so there are other All in One inverters or other charge controllers he can research. Perhaps that is what @JeepDaddy meant by a solution looking for a problem. Often most posters don't have enough solar panels to charge their batteries. In this case the OP has 3.7 kW of solar panels and approximately 10kWh of Tesla modules. The Renogy apparently has a solar capacity of 4.4 kW of solar but a narrow range of voltage. Ten in parallel would not be enough voltage and a 5P2S panel configuration might hit maximum voltage on a very cold clear day at Noon.
there are so many it is overwhelming..i found this..maybe cheap chinese ?

if the renogy max @114v and my batts are in series i get over voltage of 2v.'total of 116v..is that an issue i need be concerned about killing the renogy?
Can you clarify what you mean?

To avoid confusion, I was talking about the following inverter:
https://www.renogy.com/48v-3500w-so...sale&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=760144

Inverter manual:
https://store-fhnch.mybigcommerce.com/content/RIV4835CSH1S/RIV4835CSH1S-Manual.pdf

The "battery voltage range" of this inverter is 40V to 60V (see manual p 32), or, actually, 38V to 60V (38V for low voltage disconnect; see p 26, 34, 35). I do not see the 114v you mention. Are you looking at a different inverter?

So..can you point me in some direction of these (other)charge controllers so I can run research them..because as of now I have made no progress and would like to asap

Google is your friend. I have had good luck buying parts from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun and Renvu. I have also heard good things about Signature Solar. The sales staff may be able to help you.
However if you read the manual on page 34 it says that the inverter can handle 145 volts and that would be 3 panels in series. Two panels in series would never be a problem but I dont know about how close you would be to the minimum voltage of 60 volts with two in series. I have an All In One inverter and have not used any particular charge controller but know from browsing and watching videos that there are many options.

Last edited:
Back