diy solar

diy solar

2-wire control circuit inside main conduit

Troubleshooter

I am wiring a 22kW standby generator to my Sol-ark inverters. The installation manual says control wired need to be in their own conduit, but that's referring to the wires running to the transfer switch. I won't have those, since I am off-grid. Do I need to run a separate conduit for the 2-wire start circuit? Or can they be placed inside the main 1.25" conduit along with load wiring?

Did you see https://diysolarforum.com/threads/can-solar-dc-wiring-share-conduit-with-ac-power.48955/?

My guess would be that it's probably a combination of Sol-ark;
  • Playing it safe regarding the NEC code - which allows it under specific scenarios - but that might be more detail than they want to get into in their manual
  • Trying to head off complaints that might arise from the possibility of other conductors generating signal interference for the 2-wire start circuit.

Yes, I saw that post, but it seems to be dealing specifically with running PV/DC wires along AC wires, and I'm just curious whether I need to separate control wires. No electrical inspection needed in my county, so just concerned with any potential interference on the control circuit.

I saw that post, but it seems to be dealing specifically with running PV/DC wires along AC wires

A decent portion of the posts in that thread are also discussing the generator control wires. The links & NEC quotes from that thread should be the same references you'd need for this case.

Specifically, (my understanding is that) you need to make sure the control wire's insulation is rated to more than the maximum voltage in the conduit and that the control wires are sufficiently shielded to avoid signal interference and/or induced voltage spikes that might affect/harm the electronics at either end of the control wires.

Back