diy solar

diy solar

2 wires in PV+? (Renogy rover li MPPT)

solarstuff

Any reason I can't combine 2 positive wires from 2 arrays into one renogy rover li 40a so long as I keep to under 40a?

It seems simple enough and the plates and screw that hold the pv cables are rates up to 6awg...

So can I put 2x10awg into my PV+ & pv- or is this a no-no, and why?

Thanks for helping!

The question should be about volts not amps.
What is panel Voc, configuration(s) and SCC max input voltage?
And lowest temp you array will experience?

The question should be about volts not amps.
What is panel Voc, configuration(s) and SCC max input voltage?
And lowest temp you array will experience?
Thx MisterS...

For my 2 arrays:
each array has 3x100watt panels
each panel has 21.5 voc
each panel rated current 5.5a

So for 2 arrays of 6 panels Max voc of 125 (rover 40 is rated for 100)

Rover 40 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller
Rated Battery Current: 40ARated Load Current:20A
Max. PV Input Short Current: 50AMax. Battery Voltage: 32V
Max Solar Input Voltage: 100VDCCharge circuit voltage drop: ≤ 0.26V
Discharge circuit voltage drop: ≤ 0.15VWorking Temperature: -35°C to +45°C
Max Terminal Size: 8AWGRated Load Current: 10% to 90% NC
Overall Dimension: 9.37 x 6.81 x 2.85 in
...and in Eastern Ontario Canada can see -10c routinely, and cold snaps of -30...which can create surges?

Does the weather ruin it for me?

I'd probably avoid it myself. Good connections are instrumental for longevity. I also prefer wire crimps over nuts, having come from the mill/industrial trades.

But if you get them secure enough it would probably not be a problem. I also prefer to have as few of connections between things as possible. Again due to connections having the risk of not having the best connectivity.

This is what combiner boxes are for, midnight solar small one is a great option, toss a breakers in for each string and you’ll have great trouble shooting tool to boot.

Be mindful of MC4 current limitations, I believe you’ll be under if 3S2P but still something to be aware off.

Prob, what’s the combined current you’d be pushing through the home run to the SCC?

What is the mill/industrial standard? Ferules? 2 wires crimped in a single ferrule? Or 2 ferules?
I've been out of it for 20 years.... We would only rewire motors/electrical when we replaced them for the most part. I did some neat electrical stuff sometimes, but never put two wires under one connector. We just didn't do it....

Back