diy solar

diy solar

2 x 150A or 1 x 300A

DanVan

Hi
I'm looking at putting together a 300-400Ah 12v battery for a van conversion and want to run an induction hob amongst other things. I am wondering if I could run 2 x 150A BMS's (4S) with 2 sets of 4 cells 150-200Ah connected to the inverter via busbar connections. rather than a big setup that has a single big 300A BMS.
In my head it feels like it should work, share the load between the 2 batteries and also gives me some redundancy should one of the batteries fail, I realise that the high power items would be off the cards in that case.

Does this work in everyone else's opinion or am I missing a trick?

Cheers

Should work with care taken with cables and interconnection but it will be a serious challenge keeping volt drops and thus heat within acceptable levels once you are working with 200 amps. I strongly advise a 24 or higher votage system.
Since you are considering 8 cells, a 24volt battery will be more practical and although an additional 24 to 12 dc converter will be needed for12v appliances, the overall cost will be about the same as a 12v system. Battery cell failure is unlikely, BMS failure more so but still an infrequent event.

Mike

If one battery fails under load the other BMS will smoke.
But this was done in many systems. Each battery with it' own BMS connected to negative BusBar. Each battery with its own fuse, connected to positive BusBar.
All cables should be able to carry the full load.

Back