diy solar

diy solar

2 x Renogy 100Ah vs 1 x SOK 206Ah

max514

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a battery for a simple 12V system (battery + inverter, no solar for now but maybe a panel and mppt down the line). I can get 2 Renogy 100Ah batteries or 1 SOK 206Ah for equal money. What should I do?

What size is your inverter? Look at the max continuous discharge current rating of the batteries. You might need multiple batteries in parallel to meet your needs.

FYI - another option is two SOK 12V 100Ah batteries.

What size is your inverter? Look at the max continuous discharge current rating of the batteries. You might need multiple batteries in parallel to meet your needs.

FYI - another option is two SOK 12V 100Ah batteri

I don't have practical experience here, but I would think the 206Ah SOK would be a better choice. Less wiring to deal with and a higher quality product than Renogy.

Probably a Victron 12/800.

I'd wire the 2 100Ah in parallel. 100Ah SOK is not an option for me. I'm in Canada and two of those would be $400 more than 2 100Ah Renogy or 1 206 SOK.

An 800W inverter on a 12V battery can pull up to about 80A from the batteries. Since the SOK 12V 206Ah battery can easily support 100A it will have no trouble powering the inverter. Of course the two 12V 100Ah batteries in parallel will work as well.

If you have no plans for a bigger inverter then having one battery is easier than setting up two in parallel.

An 800W inverter on a 12V battery can pull up to about 80A from the batteries. Since the SOK 12V 206Ah battery can easily support 100A it will have no trouble powering the inverter. Of course the two 12V 100Ah batteries in parallel will work as well.

If you have no plans for a bigger inverter then having one battery is easier than setting up two in parallel.
I just realized there's a gap in my knowledge. Can I calculate that? Would it be a problem if I went for a 12/1200 Victron inverter instead?

The general calculation is inverter wattage divided by low battery voltage divided by 85% inverter efficiency.

So 1200W inverter on a 12V battery would be 1200W / 12V / 85% = 118A. The 85% factor is real conservative. Victron inverters are usually over 90%. But using the lower factor helps you choose bigger wire and fuses resulting in a less stressed system build.

Victron tends to measure their inverters in VA (volt amps) not W (watts). In their case VA x 80% = W. So a 1200VA inverter would be 960W. So that's 94A.

The SOK should be fine at 118A and definitely good at 94A.

The general calculation is inverter wattage divided by low battery voltage divided by 85% inverter efficiency.

So 1200W inverter on a 12V battery would be 1200W / 12V / 85% = 118A. The 85% factor is real conservative. Victron inverters are usually over 90%. But using the lower factor helps you choose bigger wire and fuses resulting in a less stressed system build.

Victron tends to measure their inverters in VA (volt amps) not W (watts). In their case VA x 80% = W. So a 1200VA inverter would be 960W. So that's 94A.

The SOK should be fine at 118A and definitely good at 94A.
Well, I learned something today. Thank you for taking the time to explain. Much appreciated!

Back