2000 Watt Build completed on Class A RV with 840Ah Prismatic Cells

SolarKimmy

Solar Enthusiast
This project started with the purchase of a nearly new 2019 Fleetwood Bounder. I'm building a total off grid machine. I picked the bounder because of "quality" (they all suck) and 110 gallon water capacity.

I had four 300 watt panels left over from my last build and I purchased four 210 watt very good panels from HITech Solar out of Michigan. They are all hard mounted to the roof and sealed with Dicor.
All electronics are top line Victron except the inverter. It's the stock 2000 Watt Magnum unit that came with the coach. For now, I'm leaving it a 12Volt system. Future plans will call for a Victron 3000 Watt 24Volt conversion. All the systems are all ready for that conversion I will just have to re-wire the batteries and install two DC-DC converters. Victron, of course.
Since I have access to all electronics at wholesale, I made this a top line build. I split the two panels into two parallel charge controllers. I also purchased the new Victron Cerbo which is a high end total solution to system monitoring and control. I can monitor and control from anywhere in the world. I chose to not use much jumper wiring and used BEP Marinco Pro Series buss bars and link bars. Much less wiring and more reliable.

The batteries were purchased direct from China. These are Dongguan 280AH Prismatic cells everyone is discussing. I purchased 20 Cells and I'm using 12 so far on this build for a pack of 840AH. I also used Daly 200 Amp BMS and they are keeping the cells balanced within .002 Volts. . Future plans call for more cellsIMG_7667.jpgIMG_7688.jpg when I can find the space to put them.

I fired up the system two days ago and have been running all sorts of tests and looking for failure points. So far, everything is perfect. I can run a residential refrigerator for days and even heat water with electricity. No AC, that's not possible until I add more battery and switch the inverter. Attached are some pics of the build. IMG_7689.jpgIMG_7690.jpgIMG_7691.jpg

bpal

Solar Enthusiast
How are those HighTec 210w panels working out? In one of the other threads wattage output seemed to be under performing in anything other than ideal conditions.

SolarKimmy

Solar Enthusiast
How are those HighTec 210w panels working out? In one of the other threads wattage output seemed to be under performing in anything other than ideal conditions.
4 panels in full peak sun, I get about 550-600 watts. Now the panels are flat, so they lose 20-25% from being tilted at the sun. I believe they are ok. Better than a flexible panels and for the price, they are a well build glass panel. I have even walked on them. Time will tell, though.

SolarKimmy

Solar Enthusiast
I installed the fourth battery. So now I have 1120 Amp Hours of battery. They fully charge by 10 am, but my loads average 25AH overnight. I have pushed them to my 2000 watt inverter limit, with no sweat. Nothing even gets warm. If you think about it, I'm only pulling 45 Amps out of each pack, so it's a very conservative draw. I under charge to about 90% and my max discharge so far has been to 70% but that was with 840AH. It will be less tonight overnight. I will see in the morning what my battery ends up at.

iceledoar

Off Grid, Off Grid. Not even sometimes.
4 panels in full peak sun, I get about 550-600 watts. Now the panels are flat, so they lose 20-25% from being tilted at the sun. I believe they are ok. Better than a flexible panels and for the price, they are a well build glass panel. I have even walked on them. Time will tell, though.
I have two of them and they work very well.

Walkdog

What BMS are you using? I'm totally NEW to all this and actually have a order of 8 batteries atm. I'm totally winging this, but i want lithium for cheap and almost bought a couple golf cart batteries until i come across this.

SolarKimmy

Solar Enthusiast
Sorry for the delayed response. I'm using the Daly 200 AMP BMS on each of the four packs. I don't need the fancy app on each battery and plus, the Daly works and keeps things in check. All I really care about is balancing the cells because my pack is so large. My Victron Energy equipment manages everything else including low temp cut off. I'm only using 200 AMP and that is overkill. My max draw from each pack is can only be what the inverter is rated plus some small DC loads. Maybe 60 Amps maximum.