diy solar

diy solar

2000 watt inverter wire size

Jtromb

I am planning on installing a 2000 watt inverter in my travel trailer to run for short periods off dual deep cycle lead acid batteries (coffee, microwave, tv, etc...)
I already have a lot of 2 gauge wire and was wondering if that is large enough to use. It’s about 4-5 feet from the battery.
Also is 250 amp circuit breaker a good match for that size inverter?
Thanks in advance

when you speak about wire, you need to give up Watt and pass to VA.
so at which voltage is running your inverter ?
12, 24 V ?
at 12V it makes 166Amps, so you need a cable that is able to support 166A over that distance.
check if table is for electricity wire or Welding wire because for Welding number can significantly vary.
on Welding, loss and heat in cable is less important and duty cycle could be under 100%.

for breaker you have to read the manual since most converter can be overload significantly for a short period of time.
250A seems a bit high

View attachment 5567

Last edited:
What is the planned system voltage? If 12V, you’ll need higher gauge wire.

If those two batteries are each 12V and you haven’t bought the inverter yet, consider putting the batteries in series for a 24V system and bring the amps down to half of the 12V system. Then you’re looking better to use that 2 AWG.

Here’s a reference site for sizing wires:

12 or 24v? 2000w is 166.6 amps @ 12v, or 83.3a @ 24v.

Your 2 awg cable will be fine for 24V, but you should be using 2/0 awg with 12v. You can probably get away with doubling up your 2awg if you have a 12v system...although it's sometimes frowned upon. The inverter should be close enough to the battery that buying some 2/0 awg is probably worth it.

I’m running 12 volts so I think I’ll be ordering new wire to be on the safe side.
Thanks!

1579624920133.png

That looks like an AC wire chart. For DC, use a ABYC chart like @Bob142 linked to...

not sure , so i delete it.
the bluesea table seems a bit pessimistic, but better safe than sorry.
I have seen ever more pessimistic calculators.

most of devices are not even able to accept wires of that diameter if you go into the 1 or 3% loss range
another reason to keep you wire super short.

Last edited:
Back