diy solar

diy solar

2000w, 24v solar system

I have two 12v 100 ah lifepo4 batteries wired in series. Are the discharge and charge parameters calculated according to the individual battery (12v) or their combined voltage (24v)?

That is a simple calculation.

Cell voltage = 3.2V
Cell Capacity = 280 AH
# Cells = 8
WH = 3.2V X 280AH X 8 = 7168 VAH or WH (same thing)

Here is a guide for programming a Victron Battery Protect; if you can find the instructions at Victron or follow them, more power to you. I had to slow this video down to follow it:

Attachments

• asi-rai-gfci-104-b_datasheet.pdf
    318.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210312_132337882.jpg
    IMG_20210312_132337882.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210312_132215808.jpg
    IMG_20210312_132215808.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210312_133734333.jpg
    IMG_20210312_133734333.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210312_133751580.jpg
    IMG_20210312_133751580.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20201219_102715950.jpg
    IMG_20201219_102715950.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Attachments

• Unknown For Solar.png
    Unknown For Solar.png
    488.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Do you have a wiring diagram for this receptacle and switch? It is for the Samlex EVO 2224. Thanks in advance.
I'm selling this $111.00 receptacle and switch on eBay. It is a Panel Interface Conector, GFCI AC Outlet, Circuit Breaker, that is designed to be attached to an equipment panel for access to AC. There is No enclosure for the back of the panel to isolate the wires. And the hinged front door snapped shut like being in the Navy. This was more suited to my needs: TayMac MM2420C Bell 2-Gang Non-Metallic Vertical Mount Weatherproof In-Use Cover, Clear, https://tinyurl.com/wuu5s3ax, $17.34 from Walmart.

Everything is fine except there is no sun and my batteries are low. Need suggestions for connecting my Samlex EVO 2224, 2000W, 24V Inverter-Charger to both home grid and at RV Parks grid. The Samlex must be hardwired in the inverter. At home must use a three prong 115V plug. Some RV parks may have a 20A plug or a 30A plug. I will need a 50' extension cord to get to 115V outlets at home. Will not be installing a receptacle to the outside of my Ford E250.

Last edited:
Some people on this forum have wired an inverter-charger for shore power (your home or an RV park). Can you tell me how you did it? My Samlex requires that it be hard wired. I will need to use it at home and on the road at RV parks.

Everything is fine except there is no sun and my batteries are low. Need suggestions for connecting my Samlex EVO 2224, 2000W, 24V Inverter-Charger to both home grid and at RV Parks grid. The Samlex must be hardwired in the inverter. At home must use a three prong 115V plug. Some RV parks may have a 20A plug or a 30A plug. I will need a 50' extension cord to get to 115V outlets at home. Will not be installing a receptacle to the outside of my Ford E250.

What is the difference between a 15A cord and a 20A cord? I believe the plugs are different. What does a 20A cord plug into?

Last edited:
Okay, let ask this question. Is it safe to do this:

1.) Hard wire a 115V female plug into the Grid Output (line, neutral, ground) of a Samlex EVO Inverter-Charger, 24V,
2.) Cut off and replace the female plug with a male plug, of a 10 AWG extension cord, and
3.) Connect said double-male extension cord to a 115V receptacle, from the inverter to a 115V outlet at home and in an RV park.
4.) And expect the inverter to charge the batteries?

There are many types of outlets, but they are "standard" items.
The most common around a house or garage are the NEMA5 series. a nema5-15 is the standard 15amp capacity...it is NOT for 20amps.
Keep in mind if you wire up a 15amp plug, thats what it is for, if you use nema5-20 outlets they can handle 20amps (the neutral blade is rotated 90degrees).
You can buy nema5-20R plugs that have the neutral plug as a cross so it can support a vertical OR a horizontal blade which is very handy.

absolutley no liability for anything said here its all mindless rambling bla bla legal disclaimer inserted here

Do not start attaching both a female and male connector to the same device output or swaping such things around.
Female outlets PROVIDE power, male plugs WANT power (please no sjw get fussy about this; it makes things safe when you are talking about electricity and lethal topics).

--Nothing wrong with attaching a male plug of the correct amperage (probably a nema5-20p) to the 120vAC input of your inverter. it is a consumer of power...
--Nothing wrong with attaching a female outlet of the correct amperage (nema5-20r) to the 120vac output of your inverter. It is a producer of power.
Keep in mind safety:
-strain relief(if somebody starts yanking on the cord at either end with a lawn tractor it should not give way). heavy duty is key.
-keep in mind exposed wires and the ease which which somebody could yank out that plug or come into contact with the blades. use outdoor rated covers that close off the plugs and outlets.
- hardwire is best as it "mostly" eliminates loose wires and accidental disconnects that can be bad.

--Nothing wrong with attaching a male plug of the correct amperage (probably a nema5-20p) to the 120vAC input of your inverter. it is a consumer of power...
--Nothing wrong with attaching a female outlet of the correct amperage (nema5-20r) to the 120vac output of your inverter. It is a producer of power.
Below is a picture of the Samlex EVO 2224 Inverter-Charger wiring box. The three Outputs (neutral, ground, line) are connected to the Taymac GFCI weatherproof box and all is well. I'm dwelling on what to do with the GRID (neutral, ground, line) and I think I understand that I can hard wire a male plug there, and then plug in an extension cord at the inverter and run it to home or RV park connection. I think I understand that only the male plug can receive power and the female end of an extension cord would provide power when plugged in. Is that your understanding? Would the male plug be a potential safety hazard? Thanks for answering and helping to get me on the road.

Should I use a NEMA 5-15R and 5-15P-SJTW or a NEMA 5-20R and 5-20P-SJTW for van shore power via Samlex EVO 2224 inverter-charger

IMG_20201219_102715950.jpgBox too.pngBox.png

Last edited:
How an Inverter/Charger works... The primary function of an inverter/ charger is to charge a bank of batteries and convert power from the batteries into usable AC power (the same type you receive from the wall at home). The EVOTM inverter/charger can accept input from the grid, a generator or a solar charge controller to charge a bank of batteries; all of which can be connected at the same time. The unit will automatically switch between power sources as they become available - ensuring the batteries are charging efficiently and the AC loads are being powered without delay

Does this ISDT BattGo BG-8S Battery Meter device have any place in LiFePO4 battery balancing or testing? I bought one several months ago thinking it was part of the DIY must-have items. I found lots of hobbyists demonstrating it on YouTube with smaller batteries using unknown wire harnesses that did not come with the unit. I have no idea how to connect it. Has anyone else used it?

Last edited:
Why did I spend $30 on the BattGo BG-8S? It was recommended in a DIY online video. It has no place in this build.

Q. How do i use this to balance my 12v 100ah lifepo4 battle born batteries connected in series for 24v?

Comments from Amazon:

"Silly question, but the answer is ( you can’t ) ! It only balances up to 8 of 3.6 v cells of lithium batteries individually until they’re 24 + volts , not use 2 12 v battle born Batteries . Totally impossible or they will burn up . Battle Born Batteries already have a BMS balance system built inside that already does that ."

"You don't. I use the BattGo to monitor my LiFePO4 battery pack but it is much too small to balance your system in a timely manner.

"You will need to open the covers of both batteries and wire the 9 wires across all eight cells, not a good idea though."

41clx8-nEtL._SL500_SS120_.jpg

Edit:
Q.:
"How do i use this to balance my 12v 100ah lifepo4 battle born batteries connected in series for 24v?"
A:
"Hello, Just plug in the twin lead connector (black and red set of wires) and also the cell management connector (usually a white plastic connector) then press the middle button on balancer to select and use menu, then select “balance cells” and it will display progress and status as the cells re balance. Hope this is helpful!"

Thoughts anyone?

"BG-8S is designed for RC areas, please don’t use this on other purpose."

Attachments

• BG-8S_en(1).pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
I did a capacity test on one BB 12v 100ah battery over night. I set the dummy load to 5A and the battery is at 12.9V this morning. The test has gone over eight hours. Does this sound right?

All the BS is done. Now, its time to drive to California. I want to thank all of the people who helped me with this project. I apologize for some of the comments I made in this thread. This project, a Ford E250, with four solar panels on the roof, was a learning experience. It produces electricity, AC and DC, 24 hours a day and I will update you on the strengths and limitations we experience. I know I installed excellent components; Dzl and HaldoEE insisted that I buy products that would last. Still, it is with no small amount of trepidation that I start this trip across the U.S.A.

All the BS is done. Now, its time to drive to California. I want to thank all of the people who helped me with this project. I apologize for some of the comments I made in this thread. This project, a Ford E250, with four solar panels on the roof, was a learning experience. It produces electricity, AC and DC, 24 hours a day and I will update you on the strengths and limitations we experience. I know I installed excellent components; Dzl and HaldoEE insisted that I buy products that would last. Still, it is with no small amount of trepidation that I start this trip across the U.S.A.
Well done and best of luck.

Ok, listen up people!
Firstly the complaint that the BG-8S does "Not show correct state of charge on large cells", well I got caught out like everyone else, It's a no brainer when you see it. I like everyone else had select "Lipo" as my battery type figuring it was the closest thing to LiFePO4, what I hadn't realised even after months of mucking around with it that there is ANOTHER LINE below lipo! And guess what it is "LiFe" and just like that my BG-8S shows the the current capacity of my 200 amp prismatic cells pack perfectly!
Secondly, can it balance a 200 amp 4 cell pack, definitely, it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 days depending on the balance.
How do you balance, unlike the guy I saw on Youstubes, you should read the instructions, you actually have to push the middle button and select to start "Balance".
Thirdly, why do I have one? well as I have it prewired in parallel with the BMS connections, (white cables) all I have to do is plug it in any time to see the exact state of charge of all cells, handy to make sure your stoopid BMS (with no LED's) is actually working and not overcharging any one cell.

12 V x 200 amp LiFePO4.jpg

Cheers
Tex

Back