diy solar

diy solar

200amp Pass-through on Sol-Ark 12k via Smart Load 14

Battery State Of Charge.
Cool graph but I guess I won't be using it as a sample to what I can expect. My lowest hourly is like 2kwh...even at 3am (his looks like 200 wh!) so I'll probably need a lot more batteries than originally thought.

He has a lot of intermittent load on that battery from his AC (as can be seen). Obviously the graph is auto-scaling so in your case, using far more electricity, it might look similar, but with a higher base load. Doing an energy audit would likely get you in the correct ballpark for battery size requirements... but it sounds like you might need a pretty big battery ($$$)!

Based on his usage image posted above, it looks like he started pulling grid power at around 4:30AM.
Yes and besides the AC he is using only a tiny bit of power. His sell back looks like they must be crediting him some nice money every month ?
My house is like 1.5KW-3KW of use constantly with surges for AC during the day and night.

Last edited:
I'm surprised you only have 3 EG4 (so around 15kw?). How long can you run your whole house with that 4T unit? I'm looking into building a similar system.
So far I am just zeroing out my bill. I plan on adding at least 3 more EG4s. BUT to be accurate, it has been very HOT 105-108F daily here just SW of the DFW metroplex so the AC is cycling a LOT more than usual. The credit back is ~$0.085 /hr. And I'm only using 80% of the bats a 20% lower limit of discharge. It has been suggested that I should use !00% DOD but I'm not so sure that would get the most longevity out of the EG4s.

Last edited:
So far I am just zeroing out my bill. I plan on adding at least 3 more EG4s. BUT to be accurate, it has been very HOT 105-108F daily here just SW of the DFW metroplex so the AC is cycling a LOT more than usual. The credit back is ~$0.085 /hr. And I'm only using 80% of the bats a 20% lower limit of discharge. It has been suggested that I should use !00% DOD but I'm not so sure that would get the most longevity out of the EG4s.
Any concerns with the EG4s not being closed loop with the Sol-Ark? I was reading about it and don't know what to make of it. Some say that not having the BMS talk to the Sol-Ark can reduce dramatically the life of the batteries. Do you see any issues with it so far? Like battery charge states not matching the Sol-Ark's numbers etc.

Yes, I am concerned about maintaining good SOC sync with the bats and that is a major reason I want to use closed comm. So far the Sol-Ark is always within 1-2% of what the BMS_Test app shows. BUT closed comm will do this automatically. .... no hassle.

Back