diy solar

diy solar

200w or 410w panels?

RogerD

I have an SUV, the roofline approx 106" x 52" I need to put at least 800w on the roof.

I could put (4) 200w panels and would have about 3.5" overhang on each side and couple front or back. Panels are 58.7 x 26.8

I can put (2) 410w panels (stacked) on it. The bottom one would slide out. No overhang except when the bottom panel is out. Panels are just under 80x40.

Both setups will also tilt.

I'm leaning towards the (4) 200w panels even though the panels will cost me double the price (kind of sucks). I can get the full 800w exposed 100% of the time and the overhang is very small compared to when the bottom 410w panel will be out.

I'm leaning toward the Rich Solar 200w 24v panels. However, I'm open to others if smaller in size or ones that are higher quality / consistent high output.

Thoughts?

It's pretty much about your preference, and you've hit the main point - $/Watt. Bigger panels are cheaper.

Factor in cost and complexity of mounting as well. If you can get 4 200W on their quick and easy, that may "cost" less than the 2X 410W panels.

Back