diy solar

diy solar

200w solar system expectations...

Right I've tilted the panels up more (estimated 45degrees).... Going to have a look into what each panel is producing by disconnecting two at a time as suggested!

Some initial pics of the what the mppt is saying with all three panels still connected in parallel....

Attachments

• IMG_20220526_173936.jpg
    IMG_20220526_173936.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220526_173916.jpg
    IMG_20220526_173916.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220526_173840.jpg
    IMG_20220526_173840.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220526_173906.jpg
    IMG_20220526_173906.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 12
Just as a reference, other panels have had similar issues working in parallel so it could very well be the panels. Hopefully your new MPPT controller will sort it all out.
I've just had a good look through this and I'm going to try mine in series - I just need to check for my own sanity... Does the mppt controller regulate the voltage down to 12v to suit the 12v batteries I have? Weirdly, even in parallel my panels are reading as 18v.

I've learnt a fair bit via YouTube etc to get this far but I could seriously do with a sit down lesson on this technical stuff because it's fascinating!!

Yes 12V panels output 18 or 20V if no load is connected. Connect a load and the voltage goes down depending on the size of your load. Thats where the MPTT controller starts to make sense.

Does the mppt controller regulate the voltage down to 12v to suit the 12v batteries I have? Weirdly, even in parallel my panels are reading as 18v.
Yup! They're magical! Just make sure you connect the battery FIRST so the controller knows what voltage it's supposed to work with. With some controllers if you plugged in the panels first it thought you had an 18v battery and cooked! :)

When in parallel the VOLTS stay the same to the lowest common value (which is why mixing & matching can be a bit problematic) but the AMPS going out add up together. So, 3 panels at 100w rating are probably something like 20v @ 5a. 20v * 5a = 100w. 3 in PARALLEL will be 20v * 15a = 300w!

When in SERIES it's the other way around, so those same panels would be 60v * 5a = 300w because the AMPS stay the same but the VOLTS add together.

The MPPT is going to convert that voltage and amperage coming in to whatever volts you need going out at however many AMPS the controller and/or panels can produce. In your case, and this is all perfect world concept math here, you'd have 60v * 5a = 300w coming in, but your battery wants 12v to charge, so the MPPT is going to take that 300w and put out 25a because 12v * 25a = 300w.

The MPPT controller will try to start charging the battery as soon as it has enough voltage to work with. When your panels are in PARALLEL that means all 3 panels have to get over 12v before anything happens. In SERIES each panel only has to get over 4v because 4v *3 panels = 12v. Now that cloudy day is producing jjjuuusstt enough power to at least get Something going into the batteries.

Like I said, Magic! :)

And rough concept napkin math. ?

Yup! They're magical! Just make sure you connect the battery FIRST so the controller knows what voltage it's supposed to work with. With some controllers if you plugged in the panels first it thought you had an 18v battery and cooked! :)

When in parallel the VOLTS stay the same to the lowest common value (which is why mixing & matching can be a bit problematic) but the AMPS going out add up together. So, 3 panels at 100w rating are probably something like 20v @ 5a. 20v * 5a = 100w. 3 in PARALLEL will be 20v * 15a = 300w!

When in SERIES it's the other way around, so those same panels would be 60v * 5a = 300w because the AMPS stay the same but the VOLTS add together.

The MPPT is going to convert that voltage and amperage coming in to whatever volts you need going out at however many AMPS the controller and/or panels can produce. In your case, and this is all perfect world concept math here, you'd have 60v * 5a = 300w coming in, but your battery wants 12v to charge, so the MPPT is going to take that 300w and put out 25a because 12v * 25a = 300w.

The MPPT controller will try to start charging the battery as soon as it has enough voltage to work with. When your panels are in PARALLEL that means all 3 panels have to get over 12v before anything happens. In SERIES each panel only has to get over 4v because 4v *3 panels = 12v. Now that cloudy day is producing jjjuuusstt enough power to at least get Something going into the batteries.

That makes so much more sense thanks so much for taking the time out to write that in a way I (as a layman!) can understand. I feel like I was avoiding series purposefully to avoid cooking the battery but perhaps that's something I read with my original pwm controller but I can't remember for sure. Series seems like the way to go, can't wait to get them re-jigged... I'll be up there tomorrow! ?

That makes so much more sense thanks so much for taking the time out to write that in a way I (as a layman!) can understand. I feel like I was avoiding series purposefully to avoid cooking the battery but perhaps that's something I read with my original pwm controller but I can't remember for sure. Series seems like the way to go, can't wait to get them re-jigged... I'll be up there tomorrow! ?

Do check that the total open-circuit voltage of your series string does not exceed the maximim input voltage of your MPPT (which may vary with the system battery voltage, check the manual).

Go over voltage and the Magic Smoke may exit :(

One extra string the MPPT has to its bow is that it will actively adjust its input parameters to extract the maximum power from your panels, it does this in real-time as it changes throughout the day, hence Maximum Power Point Tracking :)

Magic indeed.

Do check that the total open-circuit voltage of your series string does not exceed the maximim input voltage of your MPPT (which may vary with the system battery voltage, check the manual).

Go over voltage and the Magic Smoke may exit :(
Thanks! I'll definitely have a look at this today! I'm pretty sure the open circuit for each panel is 20v... So 60v for all three in total. Will check the mppt, not sure on that. I know it's a 30amp controller that's about it.

One think I will also need to look at it what size fuse I then need in each of the inline fuse on each panel.... Do these need to be adjusted when changing to series instead of parallel? (I'm sure that's a very noob question ?)

Oh and I noticed the new mppt has 'kwh' which was reading 1.1kwh at the end of yesterday... I wondered what it was as I never had this on my old controller but I guess my usage yesterday was 1.1kwh or 1100wh .... Pretty high if so but good to know!

I think I'm learning!!!

Ok so I've just got down off the roof after connecting the panels in series and realised I should have measured the voltage of each panel whilst up there ? (I checked the OC specs first in the manual... All ok for my three panels). Checked the mppt and it's still running along with the inverter and the batteries also seem fine which is a good sign to start with ?

I've come down and noticed on the mppt the PV voltage is now reading 14v when before (in parallel) it was reading 18v ... I was expecting it to read higher! ?. Hopefully we'll get a decent day so I can compare as it normally reads 2-3 amps going in from the panels so ?for more juice in the new series setup!!

Ok now we're talking....

It's not sunny yet but it looks like we might get a bit!

Attachments

• IMG_20220528_084203.jpg
    IMG_20220528_084203.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220528_084200.jpg
    IMG_20220528_084200.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 12
Update!

Now I'm seeing 1.1amps at 57v going in.... I'm sure that's poor by others' standard but thinking this is an improvement on what I was having before and the battery seems to be charging quickly considering its under load at the moment whilst my boy is on his game using a small TV and switch dock!

One thing i'm now wondering is...

The manual for the mppt SCC has the charging limit voltage for the battery as 15v compared to the 14.4v of the old rubbish SCC... Should I reduce this to 14.4v to protect the battery?? My battery(ies) is just a lead acid battery, not sure if that counts as sealed or flooded but have left it as sealed which is the default.

Any advice much appreciated. Can't believe how far you guys have got me in just a few days - thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20220528_104305.jpg
    IMG_20220528_104305.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 4
My battery(ies) is just a lead acid battery, not sure if that counts as sealed or flooded but have left it as sealed which is the default.
Cheapie leisure batteries? Those are Flooded. The only effective difference for you between Sealed and Flooded is that the Sealed (AGM) won't do the 15v equalization charge once a month. I wouldn't worry about changing the max voltage or anything unless you're having to refill the water a lot.

Speaking of, one of the maintenance items for flooded batteries is to pop the tops once a month and make sure you see water above the plates in there. If they're looking a little low head to the store and get DISTILLED water to top them up. Depending on how deep you cycle them (which seems to be pretty deep so far) you may use a few liters a year, but usually not too much.

Cheapie leisure batteries? Those are Flooded. The only effective difference for you between Sealed and Flooded is that the Sealed (AGM) won't do the 15v equalization charge once a month. I wouldn't worry about changing the max voltage or anything unless you're having to refill the water a lot.

Speaking of, one of the maintenance items for flooded batteries is to pop the tops once a month and make sure you see water above the plates in there. If they're looking a little low head to the store and get DISTILLED water to top them up. Depending on how deep you cycle them (which seems to be pretty deep so far) you may use a few liters a year, but usually not too much.
Rednecktek - you're a lifesaver. I didn't expect to need to 'maintain' the batteries, not a topic I've come across even in my hours and hours of research for the solar setup.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31251778...ikSnP_aQxa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY <<< Yeah to the cheapo leisure betteries - I have two of these wired together, will be tempted to get a third come winter based on my runtime under the usage I want. I will have to investigate popping the top off as I've never done this before. Homework time!

May I ask what the 15v equalisation charge is please?

And would you advise changing the settings to 'flooded' then

... on the mppt SCC?

(Sorry, my fat fingers pressed post reply while I was typing!! )

Thanks so much once again ?

You could lower these over charging voltages down 1 or 2 V each. 16V, you will be in trouble. Lead Acid starts gasing H2 and O2 from 13.8V onwards. You don't really want this, and at 15 or 16V that thing will boil.

Back