diy solar

diy solar

200w solar system expectations...

You could lower these over charging voltages down 1 or 2 V each. 16V, you will be in trouble. Lead Acid starts gasing H2 and O2 from 13.8V onwards. You don't really want this, and at 15 or 16V that thing will boil.
Hmmmm I definitely want to be on the safe side with this, especially as I have them in a bench box in the garden with the inverter (it's got ventilation holes though)... will get to work on that tomorrow thanks so much

If you need to add any water, only add enough to cover the plates by a small amount. You don't need to fill 'er right up to the top.
I had a look on YouTube how to top up and seems so simple .... I just had a look at my batteries though an not convinced they open up... Maybe they're sealed ? I've contacted the supplier about any maintenance needed so will see what they say as well. Definitely don't want them running dry especially with the sun we've had lately ?

Attachments

• IMG_20220529_083113.jpg
    IMG_20220529_083113.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 11
You could lower these over charging voltages down 1 or 2 V each. 16V, you will be in trouble. Lead Acid starts gasing H2 and O2 from 13.8V onwards. You don't really want this, and at 15 or 16V that thing will boil.
Hey thanks again - had a go at messing with these this morning... It seems I can only change the FCV, LVD, LVR and BCV the overcharging etc is automatically based on these. For example the over voltage disconnect is BCV +1.4v... I've included a pic of the manual. Is it similar on your mppt?

What would you say is best for the settings of the FCV, LVD, LVR and BCV in terms of max safe usage?

Attachments

• IMG_20220529_082808.jpg
    IMG_20220529_082808.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 4
Yup, those 2 smaller tops should just pop right off if you get a flat head screwdriver under the lip. Probably the best place to attack it would be on the outside ends and in the middle where the handles meet up in that gap.
Hey I just had this reply from the supplier... What are your thoughts on this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220529-125223.jpg
    Screenshot_20220529-125223.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 11
Hey I just had this reply from the supplier... What are your thoughts on this?
Translation:
"For liability reasons because other people have been stupid, our solicitors recommend you NOT open the batteries."

Get a face shield and rubber gloves to be safe but the standard is they go a little heavy on the electrolyte to avoid people opening them up.

Just a little over the plates is all you need, if it's pouring out the top it's too much. :)

Or, just ride it until they die and buy new ones in a few years, they're cheap enough to not hurt the wallet that bad. Safety and being comfortable with chemicals is more important than the couple hundred quid it costs to replace them. If you're not comfortable opening them up, then DON'T! :)

Or do it after you've used them up since they're expendable at that point anyways and you can't really hurt them.

They look like maintenance free batteries. Do you feel the acid moving inside when you shake them? It could be gel batteries, these do not need top up with DISTILLED water.
What type of batteries are these?

I think those are sealed batteries. Notice the sight glass on the cover. Those are normally not there if they are not sealed.

Also sealed batteries have a different composition for the plates so they are less prone to water loss. Usually they specify a slightly lower charging voltage, so charge controllers usually have a separate setting for sealed batteries. I would encourage you to use that.

They look like maintenance free batteries. Do you feel the acid moving inside when you shake them? It could be gel batteries, these do not need top up with DISTILLED water.
What type of batteries are these?
Well the supplier said they're sealed and I'm assuming water as yes I noticed a sloshing watery noise when moving them about initially! ?

I think those are sealed batteries. Notice the sight glass on the cover. Those are normally not there if they are not sealed.

Also sealed batteries have a different composition for the plates so they are less prone to water loss. Usually they specify a slightly lower charging voltage, so charge controllers usually have a separate setting for sealed batteries. I would encourage you to use that.
Ah yes it has a little sight thing that glows different colours... well, certainly green when fully charged I've seen. I've got it set to sealed on the mppt but keeping an eye on the charging as well... Seems to be hitting 14.4v/14.5v max. Need to watch it on a really sunny day too as I don't have my inline fuse for the positive battery wire yet

Also verify that you have removed the transport plugs as it says on the sticker. And careful, if overcharged, the sulfuric acid will come out of these holes. This burns wood and other organic stuff, as well as most metals.
Set the voltages with this in mind: Lead Acid starts gasing H2 and O2 from 13.8V onwards.

Translation:
"For liability reasons because other people have been stupid, our solicitors recommend you NOT open the batteries."

Get a face shield and rubber gloves to be safe but the standard is they go a little heavy on the electrolyte to avoid people opening them up.

Just a little over the plates is all you need, if it's pouring out the top it's too much. :)

Or, just ride it until they die and buy new ones in a few years, they're cheap enough to not hurt the wallet that bad. Safety and being comfortable with chemicals is more important than the couple hundred quid it costs to replace them. If you're not comfortable opening them up, then DON'T! :)

Or do it after you've used them up since they're expendable at that point anyways and you can't really hurt them.
Haha love the translation ? I'm not too worried about getting stuck in to most things to be honest I try my hand at anything! Might give them a little nudge and see if I've still got the sloshy noises I had when they were new before I go in tho...

If they made a noise like water inside, then they are wet Lead acid. Be careful when you open the plastic cover, you might wish to wear safety glasses. A little drop of H2SO4 in your eye will do great damage. On your clothes, it will only make a small hole.

Also verify that you have removed the transport plugs as it says on the sticker. And careful, if overcharged, the sulfuric acid will come out of these holes. This burns wood and other organic stuff, as well as most metals.
Set the voltages with this in mind: Lead Acid starts gasing H2 and O2 from 13.8V onwards.
Oh yes transport plugs all out...

Very interested in the high end charging though... What would you suggest I set the maximum to? I'm bearing in mind that it only lets me set the bcv

Well in the old days, you would never charge them to 100% , you would stop at 13.8V. And under 12V they were considered completely empty. But these were the days when lead acid cells would last for 50 years. This is not desired anymore, like many other things from the past.

Well in the old days, you would never charge them to 100% , you would stop at 13.8V. And under 12V they were considered completely empty. But these were the days when lead acid cells would last for 50 years. This is not desired anymore, like many other things from the past.
Yeah, everything seems to be disposable these days. ?

Was a bit gutted last night when the lights went out... Battery had reached 12.2v so the SCC cut us off. We'd had some lights on through the day (18w), the inverter of course, my boys game/little TV (40w?) and charged a laptop and my phone. It was cloudy but thought it would be doing reasonable well because it was pretty bright all day.

I think my expectations of the system are perhaps a bit too high. Was considering adding another battery to the collection but even then I think I will have to adapt my usage. ☹️

Well, 18W lights, 40W TV plus 20W the inverter itself, makes 80W. You would need to draw 8A at 12V constantly. Do you get that much from your solar panels during the whole day?
When you get your DC clamp Amperemeter, you will find realistic values. What the SCC reports might be chinese Ampere :)

Have you had the chance to re-connect and check your panels yet? Any change in the reported amperage output? Curious as to how it's performing now.

Unfortunately you are always going to be fighting the weather. I'm real similar to you where I live and 4 months a year I get about 1% efficiency out of my panels due to clouds and rain. :(

Well, 18W lights, 40W TV plus 20W the inverter itself, makes 80W. You would need to draw 8A at 12V constantly. Do you get that much from your solar panels during the whole day?
When you get your DC clamp Amperemeter, you will find realistic values. What the SCC reports might be chinese Ampere :)
Haha yeah it sure could be ... And I'm looking forward to the amperemeter arriving!

And no I don't draw anywhere near that unless it's in full sunlight and it's cracking the flags. Just as an idea I left the inverter off today whilst the battery recovered and over the course of the day it's took the battery(IES) from 12.2v - 13.1v with no usage. I'll leave the load off until it's fully charged again and try to be kinder to it.

Back