diy solar

diy solar

2015 Sprinter Roadtrek... convert AGM to Lifepo4 ? Ideas please?

safariRV

So, I have a Roadtrek 2015 Sprinter Van and my system consists of 8-AGM batteries in a 24 volt and 12 volt split system. (see photo diagram).
I have an electrical background so I understand amps/volts/watts etc. I am NOT familiar with Lifepo4 battery setups at this point. The question I have at this point is this: The engine has a 24 volt (3500 watt) under the hood generator in addition to the regular 12 volt engine alternator and I am looking for ways to charge the Lifepo4 battery bank with this generator. I know it puts out a too high voltage to properly charge them. So,I was thinking maybe along the lines of a 24v DC-DC converter with an adjustable voltage regulator. Does anyone know of a product like this? Or would just a new regulator off the generator that works with Lifpo4's?..... I appreciate any help at all. I sure am glad Will put together this forum! Thanks again Mike WG7D

Attachments

• SprinterBatterysetup.jpg
    SprinterBatterysetup.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 17
So,I was thinking maybe along the lines of a 24v DC-DC converter with an adjustable voltage regulator.

There are a few flavors of 24V to 24V at this link.

I was trying to figure out your wiring diagram and it is really complex. Is your engine battery really connected to a 24V battery with a solenoid?

My first impression of your system is that if you attempt to wire an LiFePO4 system as you have done, you will have a REALLY hard time keeping the batteries balanced. I strongly recommend making your battery bank as simple as possible.

Since lfp cells are millivolt sensitive its not recommended to do a split bank.
Suggest you get a buck converter to run your 12 volt loads.
Also a 24volt dc2dc charger to protect your alternator from your 24 volt bank.
Secondary reason is to protect your battery from the alternator.

As for the rest of the drawing I can't squint enough to make it out but I get the impression you know what you are doing.

There are a few flavors of 24V to 24V at this link.

I was trying to figure out your wiring diagram and it is really complex. Is your engine battery really connected to a 24V battery with a solenoid?

My first impression of your system is that if you attempt to wire an LiFePO4 system as you have done, you will have a REALLY hard time keeping the batteries balanced. I strongly recommend making your battery bank as simple as possible.
Thanks for the links,I will investigate them. Well I plan(at this point) to have a completely separate Lifepo4 system and keep the AGM's until I can
figure things out and switch the load from one to another with a 300 amp marine switch.

Since lfp cells are millivolt sensitive its not recommended to do a split bank.
Suggest you get a buck converter to run your 12 volt loads.
Also a 24volt dc2dc charger to protect your alternator from your 24 volt bank.
Secondary reason is to protect your battery from the alternator.
Thanks...good points!...appreciated!

Back