diy solar

diy solar

2019 paper

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
This paper analyses the rest of the useful life of 2nd life batteries.

1-s2.0-S0301479718313124-fx1.jpg

It's interesting that the highest C-rate (EV charging) lasts the longest. I calculated the lifetime energy transferred by each system, and the EV case is still about 3x as high per unit battery capacity (kWh) as any of the others. It seems that the duration of electron movement is more influential to SOH than C-rate.

Related, here is an economic analysis of second life use for grid-tied and off-grid applications. The authors were fairly comprehensive in taking into account total costs involved to deploy and maintain the systems (including transportation, storage, disassembly, supporting hardware such as BMS, etc.), as well as quantifying the environmental benefit. The dip at year 8 is due to battery replacement.

The numbers are highly dependent on government subsidies and battery cost, with lower influence from grid energy cost and on-/off-peak price difference. As such, estimating NPV of any Second Life system can only be done on a case-by-case basis at the present.

second life npv.png

It's that last link with the house icon to recycle 2nd life cells properly that always worries me.

As much emphasis should be placed upon that, with links and other education, because in my experience at recycling events that take hazmat materials, I never see boxes of used 18650 cobalt-based batteries from spent diy powerwall builds.

Where I DO see them are in industrial waste-bins, and occasionaly trash-truck fires. One of which set off a wildfire near my house when the truck careened off the road, and dumped his load into the brush. And of course putting cobalt into the landfill dumps eventually.

Not picking on you specifically, but I think more can be done than just saying "Recycle responsibly" or simply follow local guidelines.

It's sadly ironic that LiFeP04 if disposed of irresponsibly, is more protective of the environment than other lithium based batteries.

Last edited:
Back