diy solar

diy solar

2020 POLL: What BMS are you using in your system? (UPDATED)

2020: What BMS(s) are you using? (more than 1 option can be selected)

• Total voters
Poll: What BMS(s) are you using in your system(s)? (LiFePO4 only)
Index of most commonly discussed BMS' on this forum, with pictures and links to relevant resources. (click to expand)
Daly Basic BMS (Daly Official Store on Aliexpress)

https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1bJWzaOnrK1Rjy1Xcq6yeDVXa8.jpg
As best I can tell this unbranded/generic BMS has alternately been called the 'Battery Hookup BMS', the 'DYKB BMS', and 'Overkill Solar BMS,' which all refer to specific sellers not the manufacturer or model name (JBD-SP04S020). The manufacturer appears to be JBD / Jiabaida, and the model # is JBD-SP04S020. Forum megathread can be found here, and video of the BMS here.

If your BMS looks like this:
61%2BGsccHLIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

With a Bluetooth app that looks like this:

And references JBD, Jiabaida, or Xiaoxiang, and/or LLT Power or LithiumbatteryPCB your BMS is likely the JBD-SP04S020 or a close cousin.

Overkill Solar on Amazon (forum member and well regarded responsive seller)
DYKB Store on Aliexpress
JBD Store on Aliexpress
The "Ant BMS" is an unbranded/generic BMS is not always easy to identify. It is sold through the DYKBhuang store, ICGOGOGO store, and others on Aliexpress and Ebay. Sometimes "Ant BMS" is printed on the PCB or on the label (or a little Ant head logo), sometimes it is not. Usually it is not mentioned in the product description or title. The Bluetooth App (I am told) references Ant BMS. Forum discussion of Ant BMS here, video review here.

screenshot_20200619_192507-png.15780

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/SrgAAOSwPWNdMELB/s-l1600.jpg

QBi2xrf.jpeg

There is more than one model of Ant BMS. Used here (and generally on this forum), Ant BMS refers to the one pictured above and featured in Will's video here. It can be identified by its balance lead connectors on the short side and flat rectangular heatsink.

There is another BMS by the same name (see here), which has the balance leads on the long side, and is often referred to as 'Ant BMS 2019 version' or 'new version'. To my knowledge, no forum members have purchased or tested this version of the Ant BMS.

update: there is an alternate (3rd party) app available in the play store for the ant BMS called VBMS (not sure if its available for apple). It is a paid app.
Chargery BMS is a BMS that uses external relays to control current. It can be purchased through Aliexpress, through forum member @Craig, or through other channels. Forum megathread here, critical discussion here video review here and followup here

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rchubiq.eu%2Fimages%2Fchargery%2Fbms16t%2Fmini%2F500px_1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
The Electrodacus SBMS0 is an innovative open source, open hardware BMS created by Dacian Todea 'electrodacus'. To learn more or purchase see here, for a video review see here, for the forum megathread on the SBMS see here.
https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/025/017/216/35f481d416804271a3a7f4ef308538b8_original.JPG?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1557000806&auto=format&frame=1&q=92&s=f325dd0945799f663a3e755dca8d8da2
The distinguishing feature of the Heltec Active Balancing BMS, is that it is the only commodity FET based BMS I am aware of that does true active balancing (i.e. transferring energy between cells, as opposed to burning off energy from high cells). It can be identified by the black metal case with either capacitors visible on the front or a cover over the capacitors with a QR code. I believe it is sold unbranded to some resellers, but can be bough directly from Heltec via Aliexpress, Alibaba, or Heltec-BMS.com. Heltec sells many other BMS, including high current models, which do not have active balancing but may be worth looking into. They also sell active balancers ("capacative" and "inductive").

9eJayi9.jpg

L1zJEnL.jpg

https://diysolarforum.com/attachments/screenshot_2020-06-10-14-48-36-png.15136/

Heltec, is also known as Chengdu Heltec Automation co. ltd., Heltec Automation, and Heltec BMS. I believe it is also sold under the alternate brand name JKONG or JiKong (with a little cloud logo).
Catch all category for everything else, please specify and provide a link
If you do not use a BMS with a DIY pack / raw cells choose none

Please keep responses concise and avoid discussion/commentary. Replies should follow the format:
  1. BMS Name
  2. Your Cell Configuration (system voltage)
  3. Rated Discharge Current
  4. Cost (including accessories--to clarify, not entire system just BMS accessories like relays, temp sensors, etc)
  5. Satisfied (Satisfied, Mostly Satisfied, Somewhat Satisfied, Not Satisfied)
  6. Optional link to product

For example:
  1. BMS Name: Heltec 14-24s 200a 2a active balance
  2. Your Cell Configuration (system voltage) 48V x 280ah 16s
  3. Rated Discharge Current: 200ah
  4. Cost (including accessories--to clarify, not entire system just BMS accessories like relays, temp sensors, etc) $219
  5. Satisfied (Satisfied, Mostly Satisfied, Somewhat Satisfied, Not Satisfied) Have not received yet
  6. Optional link to product:

Reactions: Dzl
  1. Orion Jr.2 BMS with hall effect sensor, harnesses and wifi connect module
  2. 16s pack (48v)
  3. Discharge current doesn't go through BMS (current is limited by equipment and battery cables)
  4. Too damn much - about $850
  5. Satisfied
  6. Jr.2 BMS

1. JKBMS (active)
  2. Your Cell Configuration (48v 16s)
  3. Rated Discharge Current 280ah cells, bms is 2a
  4. Cost $157
  5. Mostly Satisfied (can't get chinese maker to answer any email)
  6. https://www.jkbms.com
Found github code to talk to bluetooth in device. I can remotely monitor each cell voltage and perform safety shutdown external. This device has no high current pass through relay in its design. Write me if you want my method of talking to this bms.

• 123BMS
  • 4s
  • depends on relais only
  • ~350$
  • Satisfied
  • 123electric
Some 'strange' settings and balancing mode, but after some mods ok, up to now... Has limitations with thicker cables for ~>150A.

Reactions: Dzl
JBD BMS 120A
4s
120A
~55$
not satisfied
Ali_Is_Here

Fried the BMS by doing a short circuit, 15 MOSFET's gone..., bad layout, bad cooling

1. TinyBMS s516 150/750A with external current sensor
  2. 16s / 48v
  3. Current doesn't go through BMS
  4. ~$300 (after shipping)
  5. Somewhat satisfied**
  6. Energus Power Solutions
**Pros: Documentation is excellent; UART communication with an MCU is relatively easy; Cons: Can't get stable current readings when connected to HF inverter, so SOC values are unreliable; support is atrocious.

Last edited:
1. Sbms0 with wifi
2. 2p4s
3.current does not go through
4. 174.77 delivered
5. Satisfied
The available resources on this site ( Dacian, @ filterguy) and the fact that the few questions I have had have been answered by Dacian literally in minutes. The support is what sold me.

The overkill solar product is just a relabelled "JBD" unit, right? Which apparantly is the same as this

JBD being an acronym for a chinese mfr.

The overkill solar product is just a relabelled "JBD" unit, right? Which apparantly is the same as this

JBD being an acronym for a chinese mfr.
Correct

You get support and a warranty from Overkill
Well thats worth something but warranties are generally marketing tools used by mfrs with substandard products, which it appears the JBD BMS is not. Toyota and Honda automobiles historically have had the shortest warranties in the industry, while mfrs like Hyundai and VW, when their products were faltering, offered 10 yr bumper to bumper protection.
Perhaps thats a debate I wasnt looking to start, but when I buy a product, particularly one that requires assembly so to speak, the idea I might have to box it up and ship it back for a replacement isnt expected. It could happen but if I choose wisely and research reviews it usually doesnt.
I was thinking more along availability, as their website doesnt seem to have any idea when they will have more, and if thats the case, I dont know how the warranty situation would work right now anyway.
The shipping situation from China is a real mess presently and I know thats not their fault so Im not here to attack them, just verify that what they have isnt a proprietary product.

JBD BMS 120A
4s
120A
~55$
not satisfied
Ali_Is_Here

Fried the BMS by doing a short circuit, 15 MOSFET's gone..., bad layout, bad cooling
Can you elaborate? Should any BMS expect to survive a short circuit?
What did you do?
Or are you claiming a defect in the board caused your cells to short circuit?

Well thats worth something but warranties are generally marketing tools used by mfrs with substandard products, which it appears the JBD BMS is not. Toyota and Honda automobiles historically have had the shortest warranties in the industry, while mfrs like Hyundai and VW, when their products were faltering, offered 10 yr bumper to bumper protection.
Perhaps thats a debate I wasnt looking to start, but when I buy a product, particularly one that requires assembly so to speak, the idea I might have to box it up and ship it back for a replacement isnt expected. It could happen but if I choose wisely and research reviews it usually doesnt.
I was thinking more along availability, as their website doesnt seem to have any idea when they will have more, and if thats the case, I dont know how the warranty situation would work right now anyway.
The shipping situation from China is a real mess presently and I know thats not their fault so Im not here to attack them, just verify that what they have isnt a proprietary product.
I don't own an Overkill BMS or a JBD BMS.
But I have been impressed by reports from other people on this forum.
From what I gather, Overkill will replace the BMS if anything goes wrong.
And I am fairly sure they ship from Florida.

Back