diy solar

diy solar

2021 Honda Generator Carbon Monoxide Indicator

The guy on FB who talked about the generator going off at some random time was referring to disconnecting the harness to the button/LED module, and not the harness to the CO Sensor.

Those are two different harnesses.

The harness to the button/LED module connects to the button/LED module on the face of the control panel. The CO Sensor is near the front right corner of the generator, outside of the black control module housing and up against the red generator housing. That harness goes to the back right corner of the black control module housing depicted on the photo.

If you disconnect the harness to the CO Sensor (as shown on the Youtube video), you get the same effect as cutting the yellow wire (the yellow wire comes off the sensor along with the rest of that harness). That reportedly will completely disable the CO Sensor and the unit will never shut down (per both the Youtube video and the FB post).
That might explain a few things as the LED module has no effect on the CO sensor except as a control panel. So basically if CO got high near the sensor at any point in time it would still shut off. My only reservation is that the guy is not sure if the yellow wire also cuts off the oil level sensor.
That is not a feature I am willing to live without. I have already had my oil level drop and the sensor luckily picked it up.

The guy who said he unplugged the harness says he's not sure whether the oil sensor still works. The guy who says that he cut the yellow wire that is part of that harness says that the oil sensor still works.

In the end, they're both just people on the internet. Who knows whether to believe them. :)

I can also confirm that if you disconnect the harness that goes to the CO sensor (in the back right corner), you will lose the Bluetooth features of the generator. Presumably, the CO module also houses the bluetooth circuitry, which is why models in Canada have neither the CO minder nor Bluetooth.

I can also confirm that if you disconnect the harness that goes to the CO sensor (in the back right corner), you will lose the Bluetooth features of the generator. Presumably, the CO module also houses the bluetooth circuitry, which is why models in Canada have neither the CO minder nor Bluetooth.
Can you show me a picture of your module? The EU3000is has no Bluetooth but has CO so I am wondering if the modules are the same.

Can you show me a picture of your module? The EU3000is has no Bluetooth but has CO so I am wondering if the modules are the same.
I cannot. The module is hidden between the black control box area and the red outer shell. See pictures that I posted above showing the inside of the black control box and parts diagrams showing the location of the CO sensor.

My memory is that the cost of the CO sensor on the EU3000 is different than the cost of the CO sensor on the EU2200. I previously wondered why there was a difference. I now suspect that it is because of the bluetooth module.

I was quite disappointed. Honda is a premium product, for which we pay a premium price. Having a middle school programming student's failed project for an app is ridiculous.

I think that is what passes for a college graduate these days.

You'll find that everywhere in industry. Including multiple major aerospace firms.

I was quite disappointed. Honda is a premium product, for which we pay a premium price. Having a middle school programming student's failed project for an app is ridiculous.

That's a totally valid point. On the other hand, I would have bought the Honda EU2200i even if it didn't have Bluetooth, and the hour count has helped me when I was doing my initial 20 hour burn-in and the generator ran out of gas while I wasn't paying attention.

That's a totally valid point. On the other hand, I would have bought the Honda EU2200i even if it didn't have Bluetooth, and the hour count has helped me when I was doing my initial 20 hour burn-in and the generator ran out of gas while I wasn't paying attention.
I would have as well. Bluetooth was zero part of my purchasing decision, and I'm happy with the generator otherwise. Hopefully Honda will update the app at some point.

Nice work thanks for the update

So i looks like cutting and capping the yellow wire will bypass the sensor but still have the bluetooth feature, this is what all of us here want :) i’ll be trying it within the next week and report back

The primary concern with these CO detectors is that after ten years, they'll stop working and will prevent your generator from working until you replace them. If this happens during an emergency, then whole reason for having the generator will have been defeated. Merely covering up the sensor won't protect you from this risk. It will allow you to run the generator inside, which is very dangerous and can either kill you or cause serious brain damage.

Note also that as he manipulates the sensor, he shows you the back side of the sensor which includes the very same wiring harness that others have recommended unplugging, or cutting the yellow wire on. So, this video does reinforce the notion that those other solutions will work.

I've already tested just unplugging the sensor entirely. When you do that, the generator still works.

Merely covering up the sensor won't protect you from this risk. It will allow you to run the generator inside, which is very dangerous and can either kill you or cause serious brain damage.

Yes, the CO sensors always has a finite life. The suggestion to cover it up was for those who were having it "false alarms" due to environmental conditions or whatever, and not to run it in an unsafe location.

Yes, the CO sensors always has a finite life. The suggestion to cover it up was for those who were having it "false alarms" due to environmental conditions or whatever, and not to run it in an unsafe location.

My experience has been that the sensors do not generate false alarms, and thus there's no need to protect against that risk.

My experience has been that the sensors do not generate false alarms, and thus there's no need to protect against that risk.

Go back and read the original post. It was about having the genny in an enclosure that under certain wind conditions could cause the exhaust to be blown back in the enclosure tripping the sensor. I believe there were several other posts about the same issue. I put "false alarm" in quotes to imply it was tripping due to those conditions.

There are so many other really good reasons not to put these generators in enclosures that I don't think that this is a serious issue. By putting them in an enclosure, you're causing heat to accumulate which will substantially shorten their life. If you connect the exhaust to a hose, you're increasing the static pressure on the engine and shortening it's life. If the exhaust is hanging around enough to trip the sensor, you're also sucking that exhaust into the air intake, which will also shorten the life of the engine.

If you really want a generator in an enclosure, buy a generator that's already in an enclosure.

There are so many other really good reasons not to put these generators in enclosures that I don't think that this is a serious issue. By putting them in an enclosure, you're causing heat to accumulate which will substantially shorten their life. If you connect the exhaust to a hose, you're increasing the static pressure on the engine and shortening it's life. If the exhaust is hanging around enough to trip the sensor, you're also sucking that exhaust into the air intake, which will also shorten the life of the engine.

If you really want a generator in an enclosure, buy a generator that's already in an enclosure.
My 3000is is working fine in an enclosure and it's on year 17 or 18 of being in it!
It all depends on how you build the enclosure. At any given time my unit is actually cooler in the enclosure than if it was outside. I designed force ventilation that uses the fan on the generator to pull cool air from outside over the generator. It does this while blocking the Sun and Rain from getting to the generator. My only concern is that if there is a high enough wind like during a hurricane it might blow the exhause back into the enclosure and shutdown the generator. It would be impossible for me to go out in 90+ MPH winds to reset the unit so I would be SOL.

Back