diy solar

diy solar

20kw to 50kw Hybrid Inverter

Isaac

Please I want to build 50kw wind solar hybrid system for my mum in Africa Ghana. How many solar panels and inverters do I need?

Does anyone has idea how to get about 50 kW solar hybrid inverter and controller

Welcome to the forums!

As you're posting in "Off-Grid" are you sure you want a hybrid inverter? If off grid... why have a grid-tied feature?

For 50 kW off-grid you typically need to parallel inverters, although SMA has some big commercial ones that might work.

I don't know of any of the new hybrids have the parallel feature (but I haven't been keeping up with them either). If you do want grid-tied, you could go Enphase with Ensemble, or use one of the AC Coupling technologies that allow inverters to be paralleled.

Please I want to build 50kw wind solar hybrid system for my mum in Africa Ghana. How many solar panels ... do I need?

I assume you want 50 kWh of power per day? The way to calculate the number of panels is to look at an insolation calculator or map. For example, in Kumasi, the minimum insolation throughout the year is 4.15. So, take the 50 kWh and divide by 4.15, which is 12 kW. That's the total size of the array you'd need to generate 50 kWh/day on a good day.

To know the number of panels, just divide the array size (i.e., 12 kW) by the wattage of the panels. So, if you had 300W panels it would be 12,000 divided by 300 which is 40 panels.

You can use multiple solar charge controllers, see Figuring out how many panels in series and parallel based on your MPPT to get a feel for the math.

Hopefully that will get you started! As you progress and refine your calculations you'll want to take into consideration losses and such.

Reactions: Dzl
Ok I got your point. But I am focusing on 270w solar panels. Do you know and good inverter of that capacity? I know of powerjack 24or48 15kwh inverters which I will need about 4 inverters but I need just one not to make the system so complex.

Yes I would need about 50kwh a day so I need the hybrid system. Solar, wind and main power supply together so there will not be problems with power off. I found this too if it's good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200806_061213_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200806_061213_com.android.chrome.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20200806_061824_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200806_061824_com.android.chrome.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 14
This wiki entry might help you in regard to inverters: https://diysolarforum.com/ewr-carta/inverter/

...Yes I would need about 50kwh a day so I need the hybrid system.
It's probably just a language conversion thing, but the sentence makes no sense as a "hybrid" inverter is one that can operate as a both Grid-Tied and Off-Grid inverter. It has nothing to do with the amount of power needed.

...Yes I would need about 50kwh a day... I found this too...
They look big. If you are consuming 50 kWh over the course of a day, you don't need a 50 kW inverter. Over the course of a day, a 50 kW inverter can provide 50 kW x 24 hr/d = 1200 kWh/d.

Last edited:
I am confused here. So what should I do to generate from 30 to 50 kW consumption a day?

I am confused here. So what should I do to generate from 30 to 50 kW consumption a day?

Try PVWatts (https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php)

50kWh/day = 1,550/month or 18,250kWh/year.

Ghana gets on avg 5.12hrs of sun per day.

There will need to be some system details but if you want to average 50kWh/day with a hybrid/net metering system you need a system that’s about 13kW-15kW

But you will only get 4.14hrs of sun in July.So if you must get at least 50kWh per day for an off grid you’ll want a 16kW-18kW system.

I think we're having several language problems here aside from the 'hybrid' inverter issue.

Is your Mum trying to power her whole village? 50kw is a LOT of power, especially for a home in Africa. I've got two households with modern amenities, TVs, computers, refrigerators, deep freeze, and AC (though we seldom need it), and our power usage averages 15 kilowatt-hours per day which we achieve with a 6 kilowatt system. Yes many large modern homes in the USA use more than we do and average about 30 kilowatt-hours per day. The per capita electrical consumption in Ghana appears to be about 308 killowatt-hours per year... and you seem to be shooting for somewhere around 18,000. Your Mum is lucky to have so much stuff to use the same electricity as 58 of her fellow Ghanans... or maybe we've got a decimal out of place? If you really need 50kwh/d we'll all be glad to help you - just trying to make sure we don't steer you wrong by a factor of ten.

Back