diy solar

diy solar

230V with midpoint transformer vs split phase transformer

beckkl

Why would I consider a 240V single phase hybrid inverter + midpoint transformer, vs a true split phase inverter (or two single phase 120V inverters). Just cost, or?

At the highest level.... there is not much difference.

In the details, there can be differences.

Clearly, depending on what you select, the costs can vary widely but the transformers tend to be pricey.
The transformer *will* loose energy.... but one large inverter can be more efficient than two smaller inverters.
The transformer will create a true isolation between your AC circuits and the inverter. (This can be particularly handy if you are trying to isolate noise for something like a Ham radio)
A power transformer can be a big heavy item. This may not be an issue in a house, but in an RV or boat it can be a big deal.

At the highest level.... there is not much difference.

In the details, there can be differences.

Clearly, depending on what you select, the costs can vary widely but the transformers tend to be pricey.
The transformer *will* loose energy.... but one large inverter can be more efficient than two smaller inverters.
The transformer will create a true isolation between your AC circuits and the inverter. (This can be particularly handy if you are trying to isolate noise for something like a Ham radio)
A power transformer can be a big heavy item. This may not be an issue in a house, but in an RV or boat it can be a big deal.
Getting into HAM is on the bucket list, but a long way away. Many hobbies are lined up once the kids are off to college ;) Just seems like adding complexity (going with the midpoint). I'd rather pay more even not to have to deal with it. Thanks.

Usually 230vac only inverters are not intended for U.S. If you get one, make sure it is not fixed at 50 Hz output.

Most split phase inverters cannot put out full inverter wattage on 120 vac single phase leg so an additional transformer could get you full inverter VA on 120 vac but you will have extra loss (power and equipment expense) due to extra transformer.

Usually 230vac only inverters are not intended for U.S. If you get one, make sure it is not fixed at 50 Hz output.

Most split phase inverters cannot put out full inverter wattage on 120 vac single phase leg so an additional transformer could get you full inverter VA on 120 vac but you will have extra loss (power and equipment expense) due to extra transformer.
Yeah, I don't think I plan on messing with the 230vac single phase units. I don't think I'll need the full wattage either, but nice to know there are options. Thanks!

Back