diy solar

diy solar

24/12v converter paralleling

jamesdeanj

In a 24 volt solar system, If you need more than 40amps in your 12v system (toy hauler), can you parallel 2 converters to get up to 80 amps?dc-dc-converter-12v-24v-to-5v-10a-500x500.jpg

The voltage of the solar panels doesn't matter in this case, if I understand the question.

Two converters will provide double the amps, within reason. Cheap converters may have less capacity and lifetime than they are rated for. A quality converter like the Victron is likely to run/last at the rated capacity.

If you already have a 12 volt system, why do you need a converter? If you are not using a solar charge controller and are thinking to use converters instead, I suggest that you rethink that.

Im not talking about solar panel voltage. In a 24 volt bank system, but you have some 12v loads, like in a toyhauler, can you parallel 2-24/12 40amp converters if your combined load is greater than 40amps? Does it see it as 2 40amp sources equalling 80?

Last edited:
Im not talking about solar panel voltage. In a 24 volt bank system, but you have some 12v loads, like in a toyhauler, can you parallel 2-24/12 40amp converters if your combined load is greater than 40amps? Does it see it as 2 40amp sources equalling 80?

Yes, the two 40 amp converters will result in ~80 amps. However, don't be surprised if cheap converters don't measure up.

Yes, the two 40 amp converters will result in ~80 amps. However, don't be surprised if cheap converters don't measure up.
Thank you. I was looking at at victron 24/12 100. It would be more than enough. Just sucks that it's $265.

I've also read that if you do parallel 2x converters, and one has a slightly higher voltage, it will take most of the work all the time and could wear it out prematurely.

I've also read that if you do parallel 2x converters, and one has a slightly higher voltage, it will take most of the work all the time and could wear it out prematurely.

This.

If you have 60A load, and you pull from 2X 40A converters, there's a tendency to get 40A off one and 20A off the other. Would it stop me from doing it? No. I'd use a clamp meter to confirm the load distribution and have a spare.

I'm thinking about doing this, as I do have a 70a load, but it is very rare, and 99% of the time will be less than 15a.

In a 24 volt solar system, If you need more than 40amps in your 12v system (toy hauler), can you parallel 2 converters to get up to 80 amps?View attachment 50502
Curious why you need 80a? On my truck camper, to run the jacks for loading and off loading, I am running the original converter off the inverter to power just the jack controller and jacks. I switch it off when not needed.

Curious why you need 80a? On my truck camper, to run the jacks for loading and off loading, I am running the original converter off the inverter to power just the jack controller and jacks. I switch it off when not needed.
I know this isn't towards me, but the circuit breaker going to my hydraulic pump is 80a, and I've read on forums that people have measured it to up to 70a in reality. Granted my pump runs the 6 leveling jacks and 3 slides.

One of these days I should get my clamp meter on it and see how much it really draws. If its less, ill be stoked lol.

I checked my jacks with my DSO scope and clamp on ammeter. Initial surge was 42a for 2 ms and 24a with all four running. I have a 720w buck converter but I prefer having double the size on everything. :cool:

One thing is I have redundancy just in case something fails and I need to off load. I can always run off the buck converter in such a situation. The converter was "free", I was intending to remove it and use it for a FLA battery charger but this way I don't have to and will get more use out of it.

I checked my jacks with my DSO scope and clamp on ammeter. Initial surge was 42a for 2 ms and 24a with all four running. I have a 720w buck converter but I prefer having double the size on everything. :cool:

One thing is I have redundancy just in case something fails and I need to off load. I can always run off the buck converter in such a situation. The converter was "free", I was intending to remove it and use it for a FLA battery charger but this way I don't have to and will get more use out of it.
Now I'm gonna have to check when I get home, you have me intrigued!

Our Montana has a hydraulic pump to control leveling jacks and 3 slideouts. Plus all the interior 12v. I haven't measured actual use yet but I'm guessing it's quite the load.

In a 24 volt solar system, If you need more than 40amps in your 12v system (toy hauler), can you parallel 2 converters to get up to 80 amps?View attachment 50502
You can't guarantee that voltage on the output will match precisely and hence share the load 50-50 so you need to add a bit of wiggle room.

I would spec that 2 40A convertors would give you 60-70A of usable power.

Back