diy solar

diy solar

24 volt DC 3 Way switches?

Fella

Afternoon everyone. new here. I looked with the search bar but couldnt find what i am looking for. I am assuming this is because you cant do what i want to do. I am building a van and going with 24 volt. I want to have three switches to control the main cabin lights. one at the drivers seat, one at slider entrance and one int he rear bedroom. I am not sure how to accomplish this I was looking for 3 and 4 way DC switches but couldnt find what i think is needed. the other way i was thinking was relay but again not sure how that would work. Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

In standard house wiring a 3-way switch is a single pole double throw switch. Need two to have a switch at each end of a hallway.

350px-4-way_switches_position_7.svg.png

4-way needs the middle crossover switch. This middle is a dpdt (double pole double throw).

c62ca757f12801ea5956495e17b3ea31bcdc77cc.png

Last edited:
To control one set of lights from 3 locations you need one 4-way switch and two 3-way switches.
To control one set of lights from 2 locations you need two 3-way switches.

For the 4-way DC switch you can use a DPDT (double-pole double-throw) switch. It will be a two position switch with four connections. I can't find a good example of one at the moment.

For the 3-way DC switch you can use a SPDT (single-pole double-throw) switch. It will be a two position switch with three connections. One example would be:

That one should work up to 28VDC if you keep the amps at 5A or less.

If you did the 2 location setup and you wanted one of them to be a dimmer then the following would work:

I have the non-3-way version of that dimmer for my 24V LED lights and it works great.

Something to consider - controlling one light from 3 locations in a van is serious overkill. All 3 switches will be within about 6 feet of each other. You'd be able to reach all three only having to move your feet one step in either direction.

Back