diy solar

diy solar

24 volt panels to charge 12 volt batteries - Any Loss?

solar420

I have 5 x 200 watt (12 volt) panels and 2 x 200AH 12 volt batteries, and 1 x 12 volt inverter. My 10 AWG cables have a max current of 30 amps so I was thinking of hooking up these panels in series to make them 24 volts and have them charge the 12 volt battery bank. I know the charge controller can do this, but my question is, will I lose any charging potential doing this? If a 200 watt panel that is 12 volts produces 16.66 amps (and likely actually going up to 18 or 19 volts while charging, then 2 of them alone will be too much current for the wires... If 24 volts & 16.66 amps were coming in from 2 panels hooked up in series, would the SCC change it to 12 volts and 33.32 amps? Or would there be some loss of current? Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it on here.

Thanks

I have 5 x 200 watt (12 volt) panels and 2 x 200AH 12 volt batteries, and 1 x 12 volt inverter. My 10 AWG cables have a max current of 30 amps so I was thinking of hooking up these panels in series to make them 24 volts and have them charge the 12 volt battery bank. I know the charge controller can do this, but my question is, will I lose any charging potential doing this? If a 200 watt panel that is 12 volts produces 16.66 amps (and likely actually going up to 18 or 19 volts while charging, then 2 of them alone will be too much current for the wires... If 24 volts & 16.66 amps were coming in from 2 panels hooked up in series, would the SCC change it to 12 volts and 33.32 amps? Or would there be some loss of current? Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it on here.

Thanks
If you are using an MPPT charge controller the amperage will go up and the voltage will go to its appropriate level. If your controller is pwm you will loose over half the output of your panels as they will be operating way outside of maximum power point

Back