diy solar

diy solar

240 generator into two single phase120 all-in-one chargers?

I haven't looked at that inverter manual, but back when I was running a gasoline screamer the manual had instructions on how to remove the neutral ground bonding strap on the generator (when using on a system with a neutral ground bond downstream). Shane what does the manual say?

The generator is only used when there hasn't been enough sun for long enough to let the batteries get low. So it's a manual process to start it up and shut it down.

Since the LV6548 leave the NG un-bonded when supplied with AC from the generator, it seems that using a disconnect for the generator would remove the risk when it's not in use.

I recognize this leaves room for user error if for example the generator shuts down without being disconnected. So, maybe I could add a relay that only allows it to be connected when it's providing power?

I haven't looked at that inverter manual, but back when I was running a gasoline screamer the manual had instructions on how to remove the neutral ground bonding strap on the generator (when using on a system with a neutral ground bond downstream). Shane what does the manual say?

The manual says "Neutral Bonded to Frame. Neutral circuit IS electrically connected to the frame/ground of the generator". I'm out of state for a while and can't look at it physically, but it might be something that is intended to be easily disconnected.

I should mention that we'll probably be doubling the battery capacity to 1120ah in the near future because this off grid setup will be used to charge an EV which will be getting as much as 90 miles a day use.

We'll be adding more PV and possibly wind. But in the mean time, the generator will be important if the car can't often be charged away from home.

Your Chargers most likley employ PFC circuits. Power Factor Correction. This seriously complicates generator hookups. I would model my gen hookup to supply 50% of the generator load rating. Some attention spent on optimizing the governer linkage to obtain smooth transistion between load on off. Run test this way first log the results. If all is well run up to 65% load and no further. The engine throttle should be half of full throttle. If the engine throttle is 3/4 to full you will melt the engine and windings

If you have a 24 or 48 volt battery bank another option is to direct charge batterys from a Vehicle range extender. The Chinese are selling these little Range extenders they use a 10 hp motor and a 3 phase motor generator configuration and controller. The auto start and stop depending on battery voltage requirments. They are really neat.

Last edited:
Back