diy solar

diy solar

240v only system - neutral ground bond

I'm not being argumentative. I'm stating facts backed by definitions from sources. You are right, it is a floating neutral.

Not if N is bonded to the generator, that is not a floating neutral. That is an important distinction. It does not have to be earthed in order for ground fault protection to work but it will need a bond in the system where N-G are tied together. Running a generator without a N-G bond (floating neutral) does not provide full ground fault protection. G and N do not need to be earthed for ground fault protection. Only bonded at some point.

A NEUTRAL. My point is that a neutral is a neutral whether it is floating or grounded. Grounding does not factor into the definition of a neutral. But most neutrals are grounded.

The reason neutrals are grounded is for ground fault protection. The EGC provides an alternate path back to source to trip a circuit breaker if for example the neutral would become open.

And no, 240 VAC "split phase" is not actually two phases 180 degrees apart. It is one single phase tapped in the middle. If striving for accuracy in electrical terminology is argumentative, then I'll be that.
You are correct, it is a single phase of alternating current. 120V is simply the tap in the middle of the transformer turns and neutral provides a path to that point. Very good you understand this.

Not if N is bonded to the generator, that is not a floating neutral. That is an important distinction. It does not have to be earthed in order for ground fault protection to work but it will need a bond in the system where N-G are tied together. Running a generator without a N-G bond (floating neutral) does not provide full ground fault protection. G and N do not need to be earthed for ground fault protection. Only bonded at some point.

The reason neutrals are grounded is for ground fault protection. The EGC provides an alternate path back to source to trip a circuit breaker if for example the neutral would become open.

You are correct, it is a single phase of alternating current. 120V is simply the tap in the middle of the transformer turns and neutral provides a path to that point. Very good you understand this.
All you have stated is true. However, the discussion was simply whether or not an ungrounded neutral was actually a neutral. Tim asserted that in order to called neutral, it had to be grounded. My point was that a neutral is not defined by whether it is connected to ground or not. A neutral is the mid point of a winding in a single phase, or the center point in a wye connected 3 phase system, or the mid point of a series DC system. They can be, and usually are, grounded. But if for some reason they are not grounded, they are still neutrals.

Reactions: Zwy
Back