diy solar

diy solar

240V V2L from North American Ioniq 5

Hmm, wonder how they are doing it, I noticed they didn't mention voltage (I assumed it was that volt/amp combo because of the wattage mentioned). maybe it's two independent 120V@15A plugs or something else, guess we'll have to wait to see.

Hmm, wonder how they are doing it, I noticed they didn't mention voltage (I assumed it was that volt/amp combo because of the wattage mentioned). maybe it's two independent 120V@15A plugs or something else, guess we'll have to wait to see.
Is that an article covering the worldwide version of the car or the North America version?

Forming 120/240 requires either a transformer or a second inverter. I was only ever hoping for some kind of signaling to request 240 from the car

Where are you seeing these details? (Split-phase, 240VAC).

All I found in that link you posted was this:

‘Kia’s all-electric SUV will come equipped with the technology to support vehicle-to-home (V2H), allowing future owners to use the EV9 has a backup power source during emergencies or power outages.’

Finally got a E-GMP car.

Now I gotta figure out how to integrate it.

I could buy a chargeverter and any off grid inverter.

Or I could buy an autotransformer and combine it with a off grid inverter that has generator boost. The autotransformer would give me 120/240 on its own, and I can use it with my 120V 3000W inverter generator. Though with the V2L it’s not clear I really want to continue bothering with fueling a generator. The other problem with the autotransformer is that it likely will require defeating the GFCI/working around L-N bond inside the car.

Wondering what people on this thread would do?

I’m leaning towards chargeverter since that can be used with any inverter without having to worry about generator assist support and without worrying about L-N bond. All AC is 120/240 of the same flavor rather than also having 120V V2L literally mixed into it.

Last edited:
Two outlets for 3600W total?

Pass-through an inverter with grid support would count on the inverter not allowing V2L to carry too much. Motor starting surge might be an issue. But combined capability could start more. maybe if you limit current to well below V2L capability. Could be that only drawing 15A from one outlet, it will have surge headroom to 30A.

Chargeverter would eliminate surge issue. Spec is 28A at 120VAC, so long as you can dial that down to 15A. It only has to supply what your off-grid system needs on average.

Will you have a way to enable charging the car with surplus PV? "Bidirectional charging", when you plug in the adapter the charging port is occupied. But a second outlet under the seats would be available. What happens to power on that outlet when charging is enabled? You'd like to interrupt V2L AC input to your inverter and drive the charger when you have surplus.

Two outlets for 3600W total?

Nope it’s up to two on the same 16A OCPD. ?

230V markets get 230V*16A and there’s no way to get that in 120/240 markets.

All EGMP cars support at least one outlet with accessory. Some have one in the cabin.
Will you have a way to enable charging the car with surplus PV? "Bidirectional charging", when you plug in the adapter the charging port is occupied. But a second outlet under the seats would be available. What happens to power on that outlet when charging is enabled? You'd like to interrupt V2L AC input to your inverter and drive the charger when you have surplus.

I think it’s the OBC (ICCU? In the Hyundai terminology) reconfigured to do V2L but I’m not sure. I’ve considered doing something like hacking a V2L adapter (external port is plugged into J1772) that switches from charge to discharge modes. But frankly with NEM2 this is just a science fair experiment, and I also don’t feel like putting extra load on ICCU or the port. $$$ to replace, and ridiculously low supply for 2 years

Allegedly EV9 (also E-GMP, it’s newer than my I5) has been shown powering a V2X charger in a demo. Maybe they’ll add it along with the NACS compatibility update in 2025. That’s also when CCS V2X will allegedly be adopted. I’m not sure which V2X NACS implements, I suspect IEEE would force one into the process.

230V markets get 230V*16A and there’s no way to get that in 120/240 markets.
No way? I bet hyundai do his job right and the hardware between the North America 120V model is the same than the rest of the world (230V).
Is there reason it's should not be only a software difference?

No way? I bet hyundai do his job right and the hardware between the North America 120V model is the same than the rest of the world (230V).
Is there reason it's should not be only a software difference?

The most the adapter can do is give it another resistance to sense, andI think people tried all the obvious ones. IE there is no command protocol, it's about as dumb as J1772.

And even if it's just a software difference, good luck patching it. (It most likely is just a software difference in ICCU)

I haven't been following the forum though, maybe someone has figured it out.

Back