diy solar

diy solar

240w water heater needs

terripr77

Hi, I am new to this community but very eager to learn how to use this energy. What system would I need to power up a 240w water heater?

The Kw rating should be on the label on the heater.....If you need more then that let us know.

It take a whole array to power one at the rated heating time. If you slower refresh time that is an option.

Off grid or on grid?

Hi, I am new to this community but very eager to learn how to use this energy. What system would I need to power up a 240w water heater?
Go to Techluck.com I have hunted for the best way to heat water... This works great..

For $300 you just connect Micro inverters and use the excess power around to power the rest of the house when not heating water.....

I can't justify a one off circuit that will likely break at that cost on only one use. Would like to hear your angle....

At half voltage on the heating element, the power will be 1/4 of the heaters rating. This lower power is far more suitable for long period heating with solar and reduces inverter requirements. Just takes longer, like a HPWH does.

240W / 12V = 20A
solar panels output is 10A, so a heater like this does not perform good enough.

It can be hooked to a battery or capacitor bank to reach full performance.

I know one DIY project here in Slovenia, that is using old capacitors to power a water heater from solar panels.
The electronics triggers heater on, when the charge in capacitors reaches adequate level.
Then the discharge is regulated to 12V / 20A, and the heater works fine.

I have been using 3 / 320w panels wired directly to a 4500w lower element since March 2019.The panels face west and in the summer I was getting 180 degree hot water and up to December had sufficient hot water for two. Since then I have had a shading issue. In the new year I will be facing those panel south with no shading and don't expect any issues in the future.

For a small source these european style water heating elements might do. They are automatic and come in suitable wattages. Missourri wind and sokar sells them.

this HTML class. Value is https://mwands.com/s

The company AET used to make a good one.
These are cybo energy microinverters.

here is a video I just came across with some info, might give you some other options

I like this relay and heating water options talk and comparing of experience: Related to my upcoming 2 x LV2424 All in One units configured for 220v split phase ... with rated Solar input max of 2 x 2000 watt solar input (2000 watts for each unit connected to same battery bank). Here in Mendocino County, Northern Calif. .. I recently obtained my solar panels locally at retail for .52 cents per watt including Ca sales tax (3.2020). My imagination then jumped to: Wow: My solar array will for sure more often that not put out less than its' full rated watts. / so, maybe (why not) add a another 1000 watt worth of solar panels; in series of three to match voltage of array pattern of the other panels (max MPPT open volts 145 ... and operation in maybe 100vdc -115vdc x max 20 amps; max 2000 watt input; and configure one set of extra three solar panels to redirect to heating water (via relay hopefully on dependable auto pilot) when solar condition make watt output of panels near max that could potentially burn up my MPPT then going to batteries and inverter load. I would not want to burn up that MPPT unit.

My theory is the solar array will rarely be producing 2000 watts at any given time; notably less than 2000 watts in mornings, late afternoons, on cloudy days, and (I think?) likely not mid day, etc. ... Might not need the extra, but it a kind of economic option that seems doable. I will focus on set up and dial in first. ... Just getting ready to order my first set of LifePO4s via Alibaba for a sea shipment ride, and then UPS ride to my door., and learning enough to take the risk.

My 1st purchase of a small set of solar panels about mid 80s or about 1990 was $4 per watt. Wow to the price coming down to near .50 cents per watt! ... Maybe after I get my system set up and dialed in, the low price for solar panels I will return me to this panel oversizing idea, and relay heater element options for heating water. ... Sharing idea in spirit of: Food for Consideration n Options ;+)

Last edited:
Especially with lithium, voltage or soc controlled relays can work well for diversion. You could connect an ac heater to power through the relay when the soc is high, and pv is on.

A good charge control has these features. The mpp might.

Thanks Solar Addict re: soc controlled relays can work well for diversion. still getting down what that "soc" might be/ is ? solar ... control ?

If you had any web link(s) for such equipment, I like looking at options, and eventually buying economically priced equipment that is good bet for longevity. All eyes and ears if you have any specifics to pitch.

I will be using an mpp unit built into the LV2424 All in one Unit I purchased. I think I'd need to lean on something else for a diversion switch, and getting a new idea form you, there may be a n economical solar chare controller or something like that I could make use of.

Solar calculators will tell you what could be harvested, not what you will actually get.
For an example, take a grid tie panel array that can produce 11A. Power point is a funny
place on the curve. To be fair we will use 10A which in a linear part of the curve at a
voltage of 60V. With a 6 ohm heating element both methods will produce the same. 10A start
will easily relate to percentage of any array.

Panels at 60V Direct connect Increase

10A X 60V = 600W 10A X 60V = 600W

9A X 60V = 540W 9A X 54V = 486W 11%

8A X 60V = 480W 8A X 48V = 384W 25%

7A X 60V = 420W 7A X 42V = 294W 50%

6A X 60V = 360W 6A X 36V = 216W 67%

5A X 60V = 300W 5A X 30V = 150W 100%

4A X 60V = 240W 4A X 24V = 96W 250%

3A X 60V = 180W 3A X 18V = 54W 333%

2A X 60V = 120W 2A X 12V = 24W 500%

1A X 60V = 60W 1A X 6V = 6W 1100%

If you have unlimited funds, no clouds, and space for an array this isn't a problem.

Back