diy solar

diy solar

24v <2500 watt inverter charger recommendations

ctc_ben

I created a 24v battery from 8 of the 272ah cells, and am using the 100a overkill bms. My understanding is this will limit me to an inverter charger of 2500 watts or less. I'm trying to figure out what I can get that is closest to the top of that range. Ideally more budget friendly.

Welcome to the forum.

Closer to 2700W. Nominal LFP is 25.6, and operating voltages will likely be higher than 24V. There's a little wiggle room with the overkill allowing for 110A, and it has robust surge capabilities for start-up spikes.

I wouldn't arbitrarily limit yourself to 2500 as you may find a greater selection opening it up to 3000. Just understand that you may not be able to use it all.

This would be my "budget" recommendation:

Powerful and heavy with a wicked surge capability. Downside is it's a little less efficient than your top tier inverters.

Top recommendation would be a Victron Multiplus 24/3000

Reluctant recommendation would be MPP Solar or Growatt offering:

Welcome to the forum.

Closer to 2700W. Nominal LFP is 25.6, and operating voltages will likely be higher than 24V. There's a little wiggle room with the overkill allowing for 110A, and it has robust surge capabilities for start-up spikes.

I wouldn't arbitrarily limit yourself to 2500 as you may find a greater selection opening it up to 3000. Just understand that you may not be able to use it all.

Powerful and heavy with a wicked surge capability. Downside is it's a little less efficient than your top tier inverters.

That's super helpful, thank you! What makes you reluctant about the MPP or Growatt options? My hesitance in the past with those was the noise (it will be going inside a camper trailer) but I'm not sure if that's the case with Growatt. I really appreciate all this!

I do not regard them as sufficiently reliable. If I had a project where losing power would just be a nuisance, sure. I'd consider them due to their price, but I won't consider them for something I want to count on.

I created a 24v battery from 8 of the 272ah cells, and am using the 100a overkill bms. My understanding is this will limit me to an inverter charger of 2500 watts or less. I'm trying to figure out what I can get that is closest to the top of that range. Ideally more budget friendly.

I have a 3kW Reliable Inverter (WZRELB) that I am very happy with: https://www.amazon.com/Reliable-RBP...t=&hvlocphy=9057125&hvtargid=pla-825538526368

You haven’t said if you are charging from solar or shore power but at this power level, separate components (inverter, MPPT SCC) will often be more budget-friendly than an all-in-one...

You want an inverter that is oversized versus your load and your batteries max capacity (and a 2.5kW inverter will run you about as much as a 3kW inverter...).

I have a 3kW Reliable Inverter (WZRELB) that I am very happy with: https://www.amazon.com/Reliable-RBP...t=&hvlocphy=9057125&hvtargid=pla-825538526368

You haven’t said if you are charging from solar or shore power but at this power level, separate components (inverter, MPPT SCC) will often be more budget-friendly than an all-in-one...

You want an inverter that is oversized versus your load and your batteries max capacity (and a 2.5kW inverter will run you about as much as a 3kW inverter...).
I will be charging from Solar primarily, though with a shore power hookup for times where it's cloudy.

I will be charging from Solar primarily, though with a shore power hookup for times where it's cloudy.

If you are going to be hooked into shore/grid power, another option you could consider is a GTIL inverter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07GC53QBD?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

This will allow you to be connected to the grid at all times and will offset your self consumption up to the limits of it’s ~1kW capacity. It can generate power from your solar panels directly (but only during the day and you lose whatever you cannot consume on an instantaneous basis) or it can be powered by a battery (in which case you need a separate solar charge controller to charge your battery from your solar power).

I’m not seeing that you have much to gain by charging a battery from shore-power...

You can either parallel 2 or 3 of these 1kW GTIL inverters for more power or they also have a 2kW model (requiring 48V battery/solar).

I do not regard them as sufficiently reliable. If I had a project where losing power would just be a nuisance, sure. I'd consider them due to their price, but I won't consider them for something I want to count on.
Basing this off your advice, what are your thoughts on this diagram? Folks have said the BMS would be too small, but even so would that cause problems or just limit the inverter?

Attachments

• SolarDiagram.png
    SolarDiagram.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 21
Welcome to the forum.

I’m sorta in same boat, and keep coming back to your top recommendation of the Victron 24/3000. The Giandell 24/3000, with Aims charger, and transfer switch totals $828. By the time you add cables, fuses, ect, you’re not that far from the cost of the Victron at $1254.

The price you see advertised for Victron stuff is not necesarily the price you will pay if you buy from a Victron dealer. I can tell you that I paid about $200 less than the $1254 list price for my Mulitplus 24/3000. Funny thing is, I didn't ask for any kind of discount.

I believe legitimate Victron retailers are not allowed to advertised below list prices, which would explain why everyone seems to offer the same price online.

Last edited:
What is your basis for this statement? Do you any have personal experience with either MPP solar or Growatt.

What is your basis for this statement? Do you any have personal experience with either MPP solar or Growatt.

It's cheap Chinese stuff with poor surge.

There are multiple posts on this forum where people have issues. DOA, odd behavior where the device does not function as documented or is typical and poor support when working directly with MPP Solar.

I've adopted another acceptable application. If used for standby power for grid-down situations, I would consider it.

Back