diy solar

diy solar

24v/400Ah in a 1-man mobile configuration

Factory400

Solar Enthusiast
Curious how many have designed a battery pack similar to what I have. When I initially looked at what I needed and wanted from a battery system, I decided I wanted it to serve more than one single purpose.

1. Power my travel trailer on camping trips.
  2. Provide backup and auxiliary power at home.
These somewhat conflicting goals led me to configure my battery to be easily seperated and no part over 50lbs so I could move it without any help.

The ingredients so far:
16x LiFePO4 200Ah CALB cells
Chargery BMS16T
300A DCC
400A Fuse
Victron Smart Shunt (Because the Chargery is totally useless)

Current electrical configuration:
8s2p 24v
optional 16s config without much trouble, but that interfered with my solar plan.

At the moment, I have only hacked together a test setup before I put the time in to make everything permanent. Hoping that others needing to regularly break down and move batteries too large to move will have some suggestions.

There are 4 battery boxes with 4 cells in each one 2s2p. I used a pair of XT90's and 4 strands of 8ga cable to have a disconnect between the boxes. The BMS leads are terminated to DB9 connectors to easily connect/disconnect the BMS. The BMS, DCC, Fuse, and Smart shunt are all on top of the battery boxes inside a plastic bin. Super crude, but it at works and shows the concept. Thinking I may use 80/20 to make custom battery boxes and a very strong isolated area for all the electronics.

Dual XT90 'Buss Bars'
1608511716922.png

Shunts and DCC in 'hacker' configuration.
1608511820259.png

Initial effort to get the system out on the road. The BMS at this point was going through a terminal block which is too difficult to connect and disconnect.

1608511973736.png

1608512032389.png

The DB9's arrived and I wired them up in a way that does not allow wires to be crossed, but also P-tabled and color coded them.
Still very crude - but getting closer to a modular battery.

1608512174141.png
1608512238863.png

Clearly this project has a ways to go and look forward to any suggestions to get this closer to a permanent configuration.
I really want to dump the Chargery unit and maybe replace it with Batrium. That could allow me to configure this system as two independent 24v 8s packs that are connected through a 400A ideal diode so I can connect them even when they are in a totally different SOC condition. My thinking is that if one bank fails, I still have half my battery working.

Back