diy solar

diy solar

24v battery but 12v use

is 600 buck difference…
Between a Quattro 5kva and a 2kva multiplus? Lmao no

I posted the prices of the Quattro and multiplus units. The price of a 12 or 24v multiplus is 1155. A 24v Quattro is 2825.

I'll let you do the math.

And your comments aren't even applicable to OPs question in the first place.

As for "just as reliable", that's only true as long as they're still working.

Put 10 of them in service next to 10 victrons and under the same load and let me know which brand has 3 failures first.

Otherwise anecdotal claims about reliability are not valid.

Let me clarify what I was thinking.. and let’s simplify and say I have lead acid batteries (to eliminate BMS issues).

Running 24v allows me to purchase a less expensive solar charge controller. However I already have a 12v inverter and everything in my RV runs 12v.

I wonder what would happen if:
Option 1 - Setup batteries in series to get 24v, setup solar to charge 24v, connect 12v inverter to 1 battery.
With moderate loads <15amps would the batteries balance themselves ok?

Option 2 - Setup batteries in series to get 24v, setup solar to charge 24v, connect 12v inverter to each battery independently, so 2 sets of cables.
Would this solve balance issue?

Yeah I know this sounds crazy, but it was one of those… I wonder what would happen in the real world. Kinda like the experiments Will did with PMW vs MPPT… the result came out different than most of us thought.

You're putting a lot of effort into this for virtually no gain.

The fact that you have a fully 12v rv system just makes it even worse.

Just use a 12v charger.

Presumably you still need to buy the charger. How much money are you trying to save by possibly causing major headaches later?

Running 24v allows me to purchase a less expensive solar charge controller. However I already have a 12v inverter and everything in my RV runs 12v.
I run my 100W 12v panels 2S2P and do my charge controller is getting nominal 24V and I charge at 12V; you don’t need 24V to gain charge input power efficiency.

You “can” siphon 12V from 24V batteries in a constantly charged system like a tractor trailer or farm implement without as much risk for something like a CB or a car stereo but at the 100A load or the cumulative discharge of a solar battery bank? Forget it it’s not worth it. Don’t be cheap be smart. An epever is $150ish and it will go 12 or 24 volts

Back