diy solar

diy solar

24v Battery to 48v Inverter

mrolla

Good Day Everyone, please I am new to this forum and I noticed that a discussion about the question I wanted to ask was discussed already, which is it's not possible to use a 24volts lithium battery with a 48volts inverter. I already bought the 24volts battery and specifically the Growatt SPF 5000ES 48v inverter, and on the battery manuel it is stated not to connect battery in series, my question is this: Can I ignore that warning and get one extra battery to connect both in series so I could get the 48v? This is my first ever solar project and I'm doing it myself but trying all means to avoid catastrophic mistakes that would cost me money.

Thank you all for your help in advance.

If the manual says explicitly not to do this why would you think it's OK to do so anyways?

No you cannot do so.

You need a 24 volt inverter, or a different battery.

Anyway you could cut and paste exactly what the manual says?

I’m surprised the inverter would care.

THere are some lithium batteries where the BMSs limit how many volts you can make by putting them in series or even how many in parallel. I could understand a warning in the Growatt manual not to use those type of batteries.

Anyways, I would not violate what the manual said, but I did not know this could be a limit.

Anyway you could cut and paste exactly what the manual says?

I’m surprised the inverter would care.

THere are some lithium batteries where the BMSs limit how many volts you can make by putting them in series or even how many in parallel. I could understand a warning in the Growatt manual not to use those type of batteries.

Anyways, I would not violate what the manual said, but I did not know this could be a limit.
Op said the battery manual states not to do this.

@chrisski battery, not inverter manual. your response looks like you think it was inverter manual making the statement.
I did misunderstand. If the battery manual says not to put them in series, than I would think the BMSs are not designed for this. Maybe the MOSFETs would short if exposed to more than 24 volts. Whatever could happen would not be good.

I would see no other way around putting these batteries for the Growwatt unless taking them apart and putting a new BMS in, which is a terrible idea because of violating the warranty. I like the idea of returning the 48 volt growatt and getting a 24 volt as @Short_Shot stated.

Thanks all for the response... I didn't know this would make any difference while ordering, I have been in touch with the seller of the battery and he repeated same to me thus already making arrangements to return the Inverter and get a 24volts.

Back