diy solar

diy solar

24v charging using laptop supply and boost board

DThames

Solar Wizard
I have some old HP laptop power supplies that I like to use to power CC/CV charger boards. The rating on this type of power supply are commonly 120 watts up to 230 watts. I found a boost converter/charger that will take the 19volts from the power supply up to the voltage needed for a 24v system. The charger board has 2 multi-turn pots, one for voltage and one for current levels. I 3D printed a little box with standoffs for the board. For power over 100 watts, it would be wise to add a fan as the heat could soften the low temp 3D printed plastic. I made one with a flat holed lid for low power and a domed lid with fan for higher power. the box has openings on the sides where the heat sinks can get some air and up-draft cool. The model with the fan is shown in the photos. 100 watts is warm but still within touch and hold tolerance. The charger board can go up to 15 amps with added cooling. I am pulling just under 8 amps when set for 210 watts, on the 230 watt supply.

Attachments

• LaptopCharger1.JPG
    LaptopCharger1.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 37
  • LaptopCharger2.jpg
    LaptopCharger2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 36
I have put two 19V laptop chargers (from the scrapyard) in series (38V) and used a 400W step down buck converter.
I did a series test as well. They are insulated so not an issue. I series connected some server supplies (metal case) and the negitive was connected to the case, so the case was hot to the other unit. I took them out of the cases, mounted them on nylon standoffs and plan to make a cover for them, including new fan mounts.

Back