diy solar

diy solar

24V inverter typical input voltage range

Sverige

A Brit in Sweden
Is there a typical input voltage range for a small 24V inverter, maybe 500W to 1000W pure sine? I ask because I’m having trouble finding specs on many product listings, they all just say “24V DC nominal”.

I’m trying to work out if I could run such an inverter from a 7S LiFePO4 battery (instead of 8S) without running into low voltage alarms and inverter shutdowns before the battery capacity is fully used.

Is there a typical input voltage range for a small 24V inverter, maybe 500W to 1000W pure sine? I ask because I’m having trouble finding specs on many product listings, they all just say “24V DC nominal”.
I ran into that problem with a lot of cheap amazon dc devices (not inverters specifically). In many cases '24v' means 24v nominal with an actual upper limit around 28-32v give or take , but in other cases the seller didn't know or just repeated what the marketing material said or stated 24v was the limit. Its tough to get a straight answer on technical specs from amazon or aliexpress sellers of budget/commodity electronics. And often if you find the "datasheet" it is too basic and doesn't even give you actual voltage specs.

One way to avoid this is (1) buy from a reputable seller that knows what they sell (try altestore.com) and provides tech specs (2) buy a little higher quality gear (not always an option).

I'm not sure I would draw any conclusions about cheaper inverters from higher quality ones, but here are a few datapoints from reputable companies:

Victron Phoenix 250-1200W: 19 – 33V
Samlex PST 600W: 21.4 - 33.0 VDC
Magnum 1500W: 18 to 32 VDC

I ran into that problem with a lot of cheap amazon dc devices (not inverters specifically). In many cases '24v' means 24v nominal with an actual upper limit around 28-32v give or take , but in other cases the seller didn't know or just repeated what the marketing material said or stated 24v was the limit. Its tough to get a straight answer on technical specs from amazon or aliexpress sellers of budget/commodity electronics. And often if you find the "datasheet" it is too basic and doesn't even give you actual voltage specs.

One way to avoid this is (1) buy from a reputable seller that knows what they sell (try altestore.com) and provides tech specs (2) buy a little higher quality gear (not always an option).

I'm not sure I would draw any conclusions about cheaper inverters from higher quality ones, but here are a few datapoints from reputable companies:

Victron Phoenix 250-1200W: 19 – 33V
Samlex PST 600W: 21.4 - 33.0 VDC
Magnum 1500W: 18 to 32 VDC
Thanks DZL. Looks like in all cases I would be safe to use 7S LFP to power these inverters, but 6S LFP would be too low in voltage.

You don't want to purchase anything that is built so cheaply that the manufacturer won't list the specs.

Reactions: Dzl
Back