diy solar

diy solar

24v lifepo4 battery charger recommendation

Victron is good but a little pricey. Look at these 2 maybe a little more bang for the buck.

Victron is good but a little pricey. Look at these 2 maybe a little more bang for the buck.

I own the Aims and bought off Will’s recommendation. I set it for a lower charge and float voltage by setting the switches to gel. I only charge with this, but do not float.

This is the best charger I’ve found that plugs into a 15 amp socket and charges at 37.5 amps DC at 24 volts, but I still have not found a charger that will charge and float at 27.6, my settings, that I’ll leave hooked up all the time.

I have two 24V 200Ah Lithium Batteries and I need a charger for them.

Is this a good charger? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKN76V7

If not, why not and what else would you recommend?

Thank you so much!
A 30v switch mode power supply is cheap and does the job. Fine tune the voltage to 28v or whatever is desired. I found this one delivered 60% more power than specified unusually. Making the high current connections to the little terminals is the only awkward bit. Would be so much better with a couple of larger terminals.

Attachments

• BD41D9CE-C7A2-48C7-B5BB-D1164220E876.png
    BD41D9CE-C7A2-48C7-B5BB-D1164220E876.png
    434.3 KB · Views: 6
A 30v switch mode power supply is cheap and does the job. Fine tune the voltage to 28v or whatever is desired. I found this one delivered 60% more power than specified unusually. Making the high current connections to the little terminals is the only awkward bit. Would be so much better with a couple of larger terminals.

Will it not trip out for being at constant max current if charging a lifepo4 from low SOC?

I own the Aims and bought off Will’s recommendation. I set it for a lower charge and float voltage by setting the switches to gel. I only charge with this, but do not float.

This is the best charger I’ve found that plugs into a 15 amp socket and charges at 37.5 amps DC at 24 volts, but I still have not found a charger that will charge and float at 27.6, my settings, that I’ll leave hooked up all the time.
I have been reading here about setting the AIMS charger to "gel" so as to get a lower float voltage. After using the charger, I find the fans are noisy enough that I suggest you turn the charger off between charges.

I have been reading here about setting the AIMS charger to "gel" so as to get a lower float voltage. After using the charger, I find the fans are noisy enough that I suggest you turn the charger off between charges.
I completely agree with turning the converter off between charges. My reason is the float voltage is higher than what I set my SCC to when charging With bulk/absorb.

For me, the converter rarely gets used. If I do use it, its only for topping the batteries on a cloudy day,

I agree with those looking for a quiet converter, this is not it. I have not found a good way to know how noisy a product is until I purchase one. I’ve heard of quiet fan mods on other equipment, but I’m not comfortable with voiding the warranty for that.

Interesting product. I have a few applications for it so followed the link and didn't see any mention of the voltage being adjustable but I do see that it has a potentiometer. I assume that's how it's done?

I have just returned my second brand new AIMS 120V to 24V converter charger. Both failed after only a handful of uses.

I have just returned my second brand new AIMS 120V to 24V converter charger. Both failed after only a handful of uses.
That’s a shame.

I have that installed to charge on a cloudy day. I have not had to use the AIMs 120 to 20 vdc, but have tested it once for 30 minutes.

I have included a precharge resistor to prevent damage. I know it prevents sparking, but not sure if it would help with your problem.

I also noticed this device cases significant sparking when hooked to a DC. I queried AIMs about this and they said it’s normal. I have included a pre charge resistor and this has stopped the sparking.

The three things in my system causing sparking are the 3000 watt 24 volt inverter, the AC to DC converter, and the 70 amp 24 volt DC to 12 VDC CONVERTER. None spark when applying DC power with the resistor.

Back