diy solar

diy solar

24v panel to portable power generator station

Great Scott!

First time here. I hate the term "generator" ... so I use "station". Many of these portable things have a limit for voltage ... I think only the large 1,000 amp types have more than 12v input. On one I saw up to 27v ... but my 24v panel puts out 30v. So what power station can I use? Will I over-volt the connection, or does it just drop it down a bit, but still work with the station? I would like to be able to power at least dc 250watt mini heater .. so I need a station with an inverter that can handle that. Last time I was watching will, he was here in San Jose area over a year ago .... I think I missed something recently!

...and I run a power drill directly from the 24v. panel ... it was runing at 5amps ... 30 volts. ... a 14.4v DeWalt drill.

Do you want plug and play or are you willing to build something?
I want portable generator ... because, I will move it into van, switch it to my solar shed, move it around my construction site ... so I think that is plug and play like the Jackery or rockpals.

I want portable generator ... because, I will move it into van, switch it to my solar shed, move it around my construction site ... so I think that is plug and play like the Jackery or rockpals.
How many watts is your so called 24V panel?
Is 30V Vmp or Voc?
Jackery 1000 accepts 30Volts and shuts off at 32V
Bluetti EB150 accepts about 67V before error coding and shutting off.
I dont have much interest in the smaller solar generators but they all have max input stats online.

Why does a dc 250watt mini heater need an inverter if it is DC?

How many watts is your so called 24V panel?
Is 30V Vmp or Voc?
Jackery 1000 accepts 30Volts and shuts off at 32V
Bluetti EB150 accepts about 67V before error coding and shutting off.
I dont have much interest in the smaller solar generators but they all have max input stats online.

Why does a dc 250watt mini heater need an inverter if it is DC?
Thanks MBR:
Heater: MiniHeater is AC ... 250 watt, 2.1 amp ... about the smallest AC heater I've ever seen.
I would rather buy at sub $500 unit if I can get away with it since I might have several of these being used ... one per panel in each area of my property ... inside house, shed, garage, rv.

Voc: 30V just when testing the panel with a volt meter in full sun ... is that Voc ... open circuit right? ... So Vmp is under power I think ... but I didn't think to measure this as my Volt Meter was set to measure amps(it pulled 5 amps at full trigger pull, and I recall it will take 5-10amps). ... however I guess I could have used a 2nd meter to measure volts at the same time. So should I assume Volts drops when under load?

Input: I guess when I see listings for sale, I almost never see the dc input stats - often not listed, but sometimes in the pictures listed printed next to the input if the picture is clear enough ... I'll look more at the manufacturer's site.

Thanks MBR:
Heater: MiniHeater is AC ... 250 watt, 2.1 amp ... about the smallest AC heater I've ever seen.
I would rather buy at sub $500 unit if I can get away with it since I might have several of these being used ... one per panel in each area of my property ... inside house, shed, garage, rv.

Voc: 30V just when testing the panel with a volt meter in full sun ... is that Voc ... open circuit right? ... So Vmp is under power I think ... but I didn't think to measure this as my Volt Meter was set to measure amps(it pulled 5 amps at full trigger pull, and I recall it will take 5-10amps). ... however I guess I could have used a 2nd meter to measure volts at the same time. So should I assume Volts drops when under load?

Input: I guess when I see listings for sale, I almost never see the dc input stats - often not listed, but sometimes in the pictures listed printed next to the input if the picture is clear enough ... I'll look more at the manufacturer's site.
OOOpps, I did say DC originally on the heater, I meant to say AC.

Thanks MBR:

24 v Panel is 160 watts.

24 v Panel is 160 watts.
24v Panel is 15 years old, I bought it for $50 ... 160watts ... makes sense since 24v X 5amp = about 125 watts ... accounting for age and I guess every panel is rated 10% more than actual due to inefficiency even if new?

Back