diy solar

diy solar

24v panels for electridacus system

peterjk

Hey everyone,
So I'm getting closer to finishing up my 24v Electridacus system, for our schoolie bus , a 2005 Thomas [Freightliner chassis, Cat motor, Allison trans] , and wanted you opinions/recommendations.
I designed my 24v system around a DeWalt tool box, with the batteries in the bottom, and the AV inverter and DC and wiring on top.

As I understand it, the going price for kw of solar panels is about .50cents.

I am looking at these 4 panels, slightly over-priced but ok which will place on the roof, 2 each in parallel connected to Dssr20's, on/off switches. Roof mounts will be from 2 plastic wood rails, bolted to the bus ribs. Panels will lie flat on the wood, with a small air dam on the front to deflect wind over the top of the front panel.
I need to stick with 60 cell 24v panels.
20A (max two 60 cell PV panels for 24V battery)
max 51V
So yeah, if anyone has panel recommendation that ship to the Chicago area, please post.

Peter

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1123.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1123.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail_IMG_1156.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1156.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 5
  • dewalt1.jpg
    dewalt1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

$80x4+$200 shipping = $520 / 285 / 4 = $0.46 a watt... Shipping might be a bit more ($170 to Texas from AZ) and is brutal unless you buy a pallet unfortunately...

What you pictured comes with a full mfg. warranty, so you have to weigh how much that is worth to you, but I wouldn't sweat it for $80 panels.

If you don't need UL (which you probably don't), Santan has 250w panels for $50. They are not that cool black, but how often do you look at the top of your RV? :p That would be about $400 shipped?

There has got to be something local in a city as big as Chicago I would think. Craigslist maybe?

You're right, shipping is tough on these, price is nice. I was shooting for 300 watts. But this one I will certainly think on before I pull the trigger. Chicago is though, everyone thinks were rolling in $$$ so prices arent realistc, but I need to dig deeper perhaps. Snow has just melted off the bus, so im early for this part of the project. I hadnt thought of Craigslist, thanks for the nudge.
Thanks!

and I located these panels using Craigslist and contact info for some locally sourced panels
Im going to email then and see what we can do.
Thanks much @iamrich !

They emailed me back, they only make Poly 72 cell panels. I am looking for Mono 60 cell panels in the 300w plus range.

Back