diy solar

diy solar

24v solar controller to 12v inverter?

Pinzmann

What I have is a Renogy MPPT charge controller 12v/24v, 3000w pure sine inverter, 2-12v 200amp LifeP04 batteries. Just got the second battery and want to put them in series to get 24v charge to the batteries from the controller. Now I realize that the only way is to feed off one battery for the 12v. Don’t know if this will work. If not I’ll have to connect the batteries in parallel. Wanted the 24v so I could have more leeway in the solar wattage. With the 12v I think I’m limited to 800w input. Really don’t want to buy another inverter.

What I have is a Renogy MPPT charge controller 12v/24v, 3000w pure sine inverter, 2-12v 200amp LifeP04 batteries. Just got the second battery and want to put them in series to get 24v charge to the batteries from the controller. Now I realize that the only way is to feed off one battery for the 12v. Don’t know if this will work. If not I’ll have to connect the batteries in parallel. Wanted the 24v so I could have more leeway in the solar wattage. With the 12v I think I’m limited to 800w input. Really don’t want to buy another inverter.

You can't feed a 12V battery off half of a 24V battery without creating a complete shit show of epic proportions.

Parallel your 12V or get a 24V inverter.

What I have is a Renogy MPPT charge controller 12v/24v, 3000w pure sine inverter, 2-12v 200amp LifeP04 batteries. Just got the second battery and want to put them in series to get 24v charge to the batteries from the controller. Now I realize that the only way is to feed off one battery for the 12v.

24V MPPT, 24V Inverter, 2x12V batteries in series. That's fine.

What do you need the 12V for? Make the "system voltage" 24V. If you have mild to moderate 12V loads, use a DC converter. If you have heavy 12V loads, you might consider something else. Like running a DC power supply off the inverter to give you 12V as 20A say.

Maybe I miss understood, is the inverter 12V?

Then, no, running it off half the battery, and presumably swapping it everyonce in a while is going to lead to problems and a lot of micromanagement and ... avenue for disaster.

Back